MR-8 and CF upgrade cards - User Experiences

Re: mike preamps

machinenmann said:
Any suggestions as to type and $ would be appreciated.

I personally love my Art Tube MP OPL preamp -- picked it up at Musician's Friend for about $65. I use it to provide phantom power and warm boost to my condenser mic, and as a DI for my bass. I've read some negatives on this board about the Art preamps -- but most everyone seems to agree that the Midiman Audio Buddy is really nice. It has two inputs/outputs which is a real plus -- the cheapest I've seen online is $79 new. I'll probably pick one up so I can do vocals and play bass at the same time into my band's PA. One thing for sure: a preamp is a real plus with the MR-8, whatever brand you decide to buy.

Re: mike type

machinenmann said:
What type/brand condenser mike are you using?

I picked up the MXL 990 condenser for about $70 at Musicians Friend -- it sounds great. Love it through the ART tube preamp. Includes a nice carrying case and shock mount, too.

you guy's dont use the mic simulators built-in to the MR-8 when using your condenser mics and preamps right? I couldn't imagine why you would. just curious.

turntablist said:
you guy's dont use the mic simulators built-in to the MR-8 when using your condenser mics and preamps right? I couldn't imagine why you would. just curious.

I haven't even tried them (althought I probably should). After I tried the crappy guitar simulators, I decided to bring my own tone!

Re: Re: simpletech 512mb performance

bizzwriter said:
I've had it for a couple of weeks now -- it works like a champ -- no problems. The extra legroom is VERY nice!
I just got a simpletech sti-cf/512 from pcconnection and it also works. I copied my song directory from the 128mb card to my Windows98 desktop using an $11 pqi usb cf card reader/writer and then onto the new type I 512mb card. I had to upgrade the mr-8 to version 1.03 or the new card gave me error number 10. I upgraded by unzipping the file from my win98 pc to the 128mb card and upgrading from that card. To test the new card I bounced tracks 1-6 onto 7 and 8 and listened to all 8 tracks different ways. The card was $129 - $50 rebate or $79. The only thing I don't like about the mr-8 is some static when I pan tracks 1-4 very fast. It doesn't seem to show up when bouncing, just headphones or mains. Anyone else have that too?

Where did you find that rebate still going on?
This MR8 is a nice unit but anything more than humming a few bars and the card is full.

Re: Re: Re: simpletech 512mb performance

dhmartens2 said:
I just got a simpletech sti-cf/512 from pcconnection and it also works. I copied my song directory from the 128mb card to my Windows98 desktop using an $11 pqi usb cf card reader/writer and then onto the new type I 512mb card. I had to upgrade the mr-8 to version 1.03 or the new card gave me error number 10. I upgraded by unzipping the file from my win98 pc to the 128mb card and upgrading from that card. To test the new card I bounced tracks 1-6 onto 7 and 8 and listened to all 8 tracks different ways. The card was $129 - $50 rebate or $79. The only thing I don't like about the mr-8 is some static when I pan tracks 1-4 very fast. It doesn't seem to show up when bouncing, just headphones or mains. Anyone else have that too?

Yes, I've noticed that too.

Spoke With Fostex

I just talked with a real nice gentleman named Matt (I think that was his name) from Fostex's technical support about the CF cards.

He told me that the Feb list of approved cards is the latest and no updates to the list are slated for the near future.

I asked him about 1 GB cards and he said that they aren't investigating the 1 GB cards until they come down in price more.

Like below the cost of the unit (MR-8).

Makes sense.

The 1 GB cards that are under three bills currently, are too slow to use.

Just thought that you might want to know. :)

I called Hagiwara Sys-Com (the company that supplies Compact Flash cards which came with Fostex MR-8) and found out that HCL Electronics is the only distributor for this Compact Flash card. He told me to go to www.hscus.com to click on the link to their online store. The guy I talked to told me that its Z-series 256MB (HPC-CF256Z) and 512MB card (HPC-CF512Z) also works with Fostex MR-8. The direct link to the product page is http://store.yahoo.com/goodmemory/compactflash-super-high-grade.html). What I found is, this company is running a promotion right now offering a FREE (yes! it's FREE:) )CompactFlash card adapter for laptops when you purchase a card! This promotion ends in the end of this month. This adapter will come handy for my laptop;)

Transcend 30x

I notice there are some Transcend 30x cards for sale on ebay. Is this is the same one that RedStar8 gave the thumbs up to? Is anyone else using this card with success?

Damn! Pretec will have a 6 gb CF card available by this year! Too bad it is coming out at $7500.00 US. Well don't worry, they offer a 3gb right now for $2000.00 for those on a budget. lol.

Back