MPD16 & Super Glue???

hiphopsupamix

hey guys, I'm a (somewaht proud) owner of an AKAI MPD16.

I've found the MPD16 to be good, but not great. The Pad Sensitivity isn't as good as it could be and there are sometimes minor latency/midi issues

I read the following info from another MPD user, who superglued his MPD to something solid to get a much better response from it;

I just superglued the bastard to the top of a synth module; wow, what an amazing night and day difference. You really need some mass behind the pads to use them the way they're supposed to be used.

As mentioned on the page before, all these problems go away when you attach it firmly to something solid...I know what you're referring to because I thought the same thing about it until yesterday. Velocity control suddenly went through the roof, I can now hit it lightly and get a reliable response - even the corners of the pads started responding correctly. Yeah, it made that much difference!

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to do soemthing similar but without the "superglue"???

thanks!

coool :)

I haven't has much experience with Velcro...

I assume I would stick Velcro to my MPD and to teh table or whatever I wanted it to stick to... could this then be removed at a later stage if required?

thanks

Velcro strips have two parts: one with the little mini hooks and the other with material that catches the hooks. Each part has glue on the back. What you do is adhere one of the strips to the back of your MPD and the other matching strip to whatever you want to stick the MPD to. Then you just stick the MPD to the velcro on the base surface and it will hold very well. I've velcro'ed synth modules to controller keyboards this way.

^^^^

sounds good

would those Velcro strips then be permanent?

also, do u have any pics of these types of velco strips so I can get an idea?

thanks!!

hiphopsupamix said:
would those Velcro strips then be permanent?
You want the thing to stay put. When you move on and want to sell it the velcro on the bottom may become a selling point, if you haven't worn it out by then. Otherwise, you could peel off the strips and use Goo Gone or some other citrus-based tape glue remover to take off the remainder.

^^^

good points

I'm just a bit hesitant of doing anything permanent like that.

I'll definitely consider it though

another idea that was raised was "mounting techniques"... like maybe getting a carpenter to make a box with grooves in it taht the MPD fits into nicely

I'd love it if this really works as well as I hope it will.

Please let me know if anyone has anymore suggestions and advice :)

Velcro is not permanent. You can pull the strips off any time you like and just clean up whatever residue is left. It's not a big deal to remove it. However, if you use velcro on wood it will take off the finish if left on long enough. I haven't had that problem using velcro on plastic or metal though.

SonicAlbert said:
Velcro is not permanent. You can pull the strips off any time you like and just clean up whatever residue is left. It's not a big deal to remove it. However, if you use velcro on wood it will take off the finish if left on long enough. I haven't had that problem using velcro on plastic or metal though.

wow, in that case, Velcro sounds perfect!!

after Velcroing my MPD down will it be pretty "rock solid" (like almost as good/solid as having glued it down)?

thanks guys!

Back