MPC's

onlydude

Hey I am looking into buying an mpc. I am saving money up but I just wanted to know some of your guys' opionions on a few things.

Would it be worth it to save up the extra 600-700$ to get the 2000 for someone who hasn't owned an mpc previously?

What key features does the 2000 have that the 1000 doesn't?

Feal free to post any other opionions or things that I might be interested in the mpc's or anything like it. Also if you know a place where I can get it the cheapest besides ebay.

Thanks again all.

if you've never had one...i would say go with the 1000. i have a 2000xl (since 2001) and i plan on keeping it mos def.

the major diferences i know:
-the 1000 has 6 outs standard as opposed to an optional 8 outs with the 2000
-no midi time code on 1000, just midi clock. the 2000 has both.
-1000 has more mute groups
-USB on 1000 (1000 is recognized as a drive in this case)
-effects come standard with 1000. it's optional on the 2000
-1000 saves on CF card and the 2000 saves on floppy or zip or card reader drive or hard drive, etc.

that's just a few.......

you might wanna check out mpc-forums.com and midicase.com
also........http://remixmag.com/synthesizers_and_samplers/remix_akai_mpc/
this was said as well....
"polyphony is ok at best. i've had issues with long cymbal samples that will cut out for absolutely no reason.

sometimes when playing a sequence samples will randomly drop out, but other times play ok. kinda unstable.

effects are ok/extremely cheesy (but still definitely a step up from not having any like in older mpcs). still i only really use the reverb and compressor for the most part. delay would have been nice, but oh well.

the 1000 is ok if you like using computers with it. by itself it is very limited. chopping up multiple samples from one long sample is mind numbing without a computer.
first off there is no zoning feature like on other mpcs (for chopping up samples quickly).

AND THERE IS NO EASY WAY TO MOVE SINGLE EVENTS IN STEP EDIT!!!
example: say you want to move a snare hit forward or backward a little bit. you cannot just select that snare hit and move it. you have to copy it, paste it in the new time you think you want, and then delete the old snare hit. if you did not put it in the right spot you have to start the whole copy/paste scenario all over again.
it is extremely retarded and time consuming to have to edit sequences like this." You can do it, but it's a little more difficult.

I have had my mpc 2k xl for years and it's never let me down, it does what it's designed to do flawlessly, the other versions haven't really appealed to me...

I'm not going to give you any concrete answers because i moved from the MPC to the MV-8000 (roland). I used the 2000xl for a while and LOVED it, great machine... but now i'm hooked on the MV, it's pretty pricey, but it's worth the checkout.

Back