MPA Gold questions...

mentalattica

Just a Home Recorder
I just recieved a MPA Gold as an early x-mas gift :D But I find the manual a bit confusing. It kind of contradicts itself (that or I'm a complete idiot) here's my questions.

Is there any reason I should have to give the same mics I was using with my VTB1 more gain with the MPA gold to record at the same level? I don't think that's logical but maybe I'm wrong but I don't think I should have to use the +20 with my mics (ksm27/4040).

Also I was under the impression I could bypass the tube after reading a few post here but I don't think that's the case unless I'm missing something.

Any info will be appreciated, and as far as me being a complete idiot, I prefer to think of myself as a partial idiot part of the time :p

The different designs of preamps and mics mean that they match up differently.

Try pulling the tube out. If you still get signal, then yes, you can bypass the tube! ;)

Are the meters set the same? IIRC, the meters on the MPA can be set for -10 or +4. I don't think that would account for 20db difference, but might explain something.

Ford Van said:
The different designs of preamps and mics mean that they match up differently.

Try pulling the tube out. If you still get signal, then yes, you can bypass the tube! ;)

Thanks, I'll try pulling the tube tonight.

boingoman said:
Are the meters set the same? IIRC, the meters on the MPA can be set for -10 or +4. I don't think that would account for 20db difference, but might explain something.

The meters are set at +4, I don't remember if the vtb is selectable I'll have to pull it out of the rack to see. It's not a full 20db difference, more like 10 or so but do I have to press the +20db then back off the input gain. It doesn't sound bad or anything just wondering why the difference in gain.

like ford said...different pres need different amounts of gain - just like different cars get different amounts of gas mileage, even those of the same model/year

The ART has three gain controls, which mostly aren't labeled, so it can be tricky to figure out exactly how much gain you have dialed in.

The tube can't be bypassed, but you can set the level going into the tube stage, which determines the amount of tubishness. Actually, set on high plate voltage, the ART is rather clean, THD is something like 0.01% if you set the meter to tube and set input gain such that the meter reads +3dB. If you are out of the red, the THD is much lower.

Also, the input impedance has an effect on level, it would be a small difference with a condenser mic, but crank it all the way up to maximize level.

Thanks for the responses!

Mshilarious the 3 controls do indeed make it hard to 'figure out', I read one thread that you commented on it being pretty good and that's what made me decide to get it (or put it on my x-mas list should I say). So does the plate voltage in the out position (marked normal mode) mean less tube and high more tube? That's the thing that the manual has me a bit confused on. I haven't really played with it enough to figure everything out. I only spent about 45 minutes with it yesterday just making sure it's operational.

mentalattica said:
So does the plate voltage in the out position (marked normal mode) mean less tube and high more tube? That's the thing that the manual has me a bit confused on. I haven't really played with it enough to figure everything out. I only spent about 45 minutes with it yesterday just making sure it's operational.

No. The signal always runs through the tube stage. The ART doesn't have a tube blend like the VTB. Switching the tube to low drops the plate voltage a lot. You would only want to do that if you wanted a lot more distortion. With the plate voltage high, you don't need to worry too much, but on low you need to keep the needle out of the red. Save the low plate for something like a gritty bass DI tone; I almost never switch the plate to low.

Back