MP3 player - need some help

Shailat

A friend wants to buy one of those mp3 players and called me to ask about is it better to buy a multi changeable ( he says it changes as it plays going from 128 to 96 to 160 as its playing...probably to save space...) or to go for a steady setted player that stays all through at one rate.

I have no idea. I dont really use mp3's and even more so players. Does anybody here know?

I don't use a portable player either, but I would go with a unit that plays at variable rates. I record all my MP3s at 192, and find that gives a noticably better sound quality than the "standard" 128 without taking up too much disk space. And if this guy downloads MP3s, that's an even better reason, because he is going to have files with different playback rates.

I have heard from friends that the Apple portable player is very good, even if you use a Windows PC, but I don't have any personal experinace with it.

I agree with RWhite. Also, some files are encoded using a variable bitrate (many softwares can do this) which will sound like it's speeding up and slowing down on a fixed-rate playback unit (or so I have read). So having the capability is good, not to mention playing fixed-rate mp3's of differing bitrates...

192 is a much better rate than 128. Extremely so, and still retains a good (small) file size.

Get an Ipod

I have a 5gb Ipod made by Apple. It's fantastic, design, reliability, portability, everything.

www.apple.com/ipod/

It can hold approx 1000 songs and fits in your pocket, basically its a laptop hardisk with a built in OS and LCD screen. There are bigger models, up to 20gb, which can hold around 4000 songs :eek:

All this variable bitrate stuff sounds a bit irrelevant to me to be honest, I've been throwing hundreds of MP3's of all shapes and sizes onto my ipod and it's never had a problem. When I burn my own Mp3's I use 192kbs also, reasonable file sizes, CD quality (near enough).

Cant recommend an ipod strongly enough, and no i dont have anything to do with apple. I heard Creative just unveiled a new model to compete, but i dont know anything about it.

Only possible issue is - if you are a pc owner, you need a firewire interface to connect to the ipod. Almost all modern laptops have them, but for a desktop you're gonna need a special card (around $50).

The low budget MP3 player to get is a Rio Volt CD/MP3 player. I bought one for 60 bucks and I can burn about 150 songs on one CD using my computer. I would like an iPod though!

Back