Mp3 Hosts - What do you like/dislike about them?

jpfour23

I'm thinking about programming a website to allow bands and audio engineers a place to host their work. I obviously want to be better than all the competition and thought I might ask you all what you like/dislike about the mp3 hosts out there today.

Does anyone have any comments? My goal would be to allow more mp3 storage on a "free" level than any other mp3 host.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thx,
jp

As far as visiting to download, I like simplicity, direct links to the mp3s and reliability that the download won't hang. Things I don't like are streaming and mp3 links that require multiple pages - especially confusing pages - to navigate. I have my own site where I upload my music, so I can't comment on issues in the other direction.

Tim

i like statistics and charts or ratings on what's popular and room to write about the file and option to either stream lofi hifi or download it.

Good stuff. I'm working on all of this. :)

Tim - I agree. Many of the sites out there today are WAY too busy... soundclick.com audiostreet.net - too much going on. I like clean, simple.

I think the biggest advantage my site will have over the competition is the following:

• More free mp3 hosting than any other
  • Direct linking to mp3's
  • No registration process for listeners - just browse & listen!

junplugged - i definitely will have lots of charts and ratings and your idea to write a response to the song is a great idea. i'll add that to my list.

i hope to have something online and ready to use in bare form in the next couple of weeks.

thanks for your input. any one else?

I think the biggest problem Soundlick has their site goes down a lot. They don't direct link because that allows copyrighted material to be put on there for an easy distribution, most likely in an illegal manner. So that direct link thing might be a double-edged sword in terms of gaining your site popularity. You can expect some record industries contacting you about taking music down a lot. It seems like a good idea though. Good luck with all that stuff.

maybe quick anonymous or signable messages left as feedback that the user can delete if they're rude, but that don't require registration to leave them. A total listen count, maybe for the user only a statistic on how long the song was streamed before listener stopped the stream. Maybe unique hits and return hits.

Deep link would be nice if statistics are kept so that someone with a site can stream from one source instead of their own site and the music site, but you could require a link to your site be included on thier site. And also require that any additional info be abailable only from your site not the client site, so for example if the musician's personal site has a link that streams from your site but the fan wants more info like statistics and maybe - allow onlyone or 2 songs to stream from personal site, but for more songs, fan needs to go to your site, or for any more info like how the musician is ranking and up to the minute counts etc.

links for someone to - like on myspace.com they have the ability to add another myspace site to their list. So if someone wants to be referred to from another person who shares the same style or just likes the music, they can leave a message and user could have the option of adding the other user's link to their list of reccommended or 'friends' list.

have you checked out xoops? runs on php mysql and Apache or IIS

junplugged said:
i like statistics and charts or ratings on what's popular and room to write about the file and option to either stream lofi hifi or download it.

I second that! Stats 'n Stuff is entertainment. Also a visitor's box (they don't have to sign in) and give the tune a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Oh, and what font did you use for your logo 'audioblend' and more importantly...where can i get it?

it's such a simple clean font!

Yes, you definitely won't have to register to listen... and I like the idea of not having to register to write feedback for a song... but giving the profile author the option to delete posts if someone is spamming or abusing. We'll have to see how that goes though. If it starts to get abused, I might have to change that.

true that can easily be a problem, unless you limit the number of posts in a time period. Here it's one post per minute or something. You could do once only, or once a week or day, but not sure how much more that takes in tech. Actually now that I think of it, anonymous anything is bad, look at the rep here....

- Hey, how about if the user is not logged on, then he can only leave a pre-selected response and you can have them either radio check or multi-box checked, and have like 5 choices or so. Like: I've heard better, I'll be back, better than mine, decent, good, very good, awesome, Later, I'm listening daily, you'll be famous soon, it was better than Cats, more cowbell, etc.

Back