MP3 encoder / player

PPatrick

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on what to get as an MP3 encoder, as well as what's recommended for playing MP3s (including both the software and the walkman-like players). I'd like to be able to convert .wav files to the best quality MP3s I can make, and then be able to download them to an external player as well.
---- PPatrick

PPatrick:

Try SCMPX, it's a small download and does pretty well (for free) at 128k. You can also select higher bitrates for better quality. There are also several others out there that I've heard do pretty well. Some are free, some aren't. Seems like you get what you pay for. I would not recommend BladeEnc.

For a player, Music Match is pretty decent.

dmc

I play mp3s and decode to wav files with winamp (free - very important to me.) I encode to mp3 with Audiograbber (free version with codec installed). As for the hardware player, I heard that Sony is preparing to release a new compression format that will make the mp3 obsolete. Anybody heard any details? I'd hate to buy a piece of equipment that was outdated by next year or maybe even this christmas! Maybe it was just a rumor?

[This message has been edited by crazyhorse (edited 12-03-1999).]

Back