MP3 conversion problems, I'm going crazy!

Burnt321

Just Me
Here's the rundown. I'm exporting my final mix to a 32bit wav file for mastering. I use wavelab 4.0 for mastering. After I'm done I render the file down to a 16bit wav file. I use some compression and waves l1 for dithering. Then I make an mp3 at 128kbps (so I can post on the web) and the cymbals and kick sound like they are underwater.
Please help!? This is driving me insane! I tried exporting the final mix to 16bit and then mastering, but came up with the same results.
Anyone have any ideas?

try going up to 160 or 192kbs

are you rendering to a 16 bit wav file THEN rendering that to mp3? make sure you aren't dithering twice.

Leave the file at 32bit and do your dithering to 16bit and your rendering to mp3 in the same process. Sometimes 128 does show the limitations on the cymbals but I wouldn't have thought it too noticable using wavelab.

LemonTree said:
try going up to 160 or 192kbs

are you rendering to a 16 bit wav file THEN rendering that to mp3? make sure you aren't dithering twice.

Leave the file at 32bit and do your dithering to 16bit and your rendering to mp3 in the same process. Sometimes 128 does show the limitations on the cymbals but I wouldn't have thought it too noticable using wavelab.

I forgot to mention before, but I tried it at 192kbps, and it sounded great.
I need it to sound good @ 128kbps. Is there anythin I can do? Is it the high frequencies of the cymbals that are doing it?

FALKEN said:
I think the wavelab encoder sucks. try a different one.

I will give it another shot with another encoder. Should I render a wav and then convert to mp3 with another encoder? What other mastering software would you recommend?

i mean, 196 kbps is supposed to soudn better than 128, so i can't say i'm surprised. this is the case a lot of times...the same problem you are having. ha.

A lot of sites that post mp3s apperently only take 128kbps or convert them to 128 (a la myspace). So I'm trying to make it sound as good as I can before I upload it

yeah, sucks, but i think that if other encoders dont help ya, pretty much just gotta deal. ha. myspace pisses me off for music anyway, but i use it. ha.

Back