Mp3 and Mastering from cubase

Waffleness

So, my mix down process is as follows:

-Cubase exports wav
-ImTOO mp3 encoder
-mp3gain to maximise the volume without clipping

Now, I know the story about mastering volume wars and what not, so I don't need advice on that. I was wondering if you could provide any thoughts and (ideally free/cheap) bits of software that would give me better quality files/louder in comparison to pro mastered tracks?
I'm not looking to buy a mastering suite - just a piece of software that would be good for taking my really quiet cubase wav's and making them listenable mp3's.

Many thanks! I know this is probably one of those annoying n00b threads, but meh, at least I admit that ;)

W

There's no big secret to volume... Throw a limiter on the 2-buss before you export.

How the mix actually handles that volume is another story...

So, my mix down process is as follows:

-Cubase exports wav
-ImTOO mp3 encoder
-mp3gain to maximise the volume without clipping

Now, I know the story about mastering volume wars and what not, so I don't need advice on that. I was wondering if you could provide any thoughts and (ideally free/cheap) bits of software that would give me better quality files/louder in comparison to pro mastered tracks?
I'm not looking to buy a mastering suite - just a piece of software that would be good for taking my really quiet cubase wav's and making them listenable mp3's.

Many thanks! I know this is probably one of those annoying n00b threads, but meh, at least I admit that ;)

W
Why not buy wavelab essential or sony cd architect? They aren't expensive. Otherwise, just use a limiter and normaliser on the main/master track.

Back