moving up

MGS

Currently I use a Yamaha MT4X 4-track cassette multitracker and, although it has performed well, I am considering moving to the next level. Problem is, I'm not sure what that is! Do I go for an 8-track cassette unit, 1/4 inch r to r with mixer, digital recorder? I often record at remote locations away from my PC so I don't want to upgrade my audio card and purchase better software to do the initial tracks on PC. I am finding 4 tracks to be limiting and don't like to bounce. Any suggestions on how to proceed without spending huge bucks.

Mark

How much do you have to spend? At the minimum,how many inputs do you need? There are MANY options to choose from depending on what you have to invest and what you need to do the job.
My opinion is to go digital if at all possible.
..Ginzoo

Money is not a concern, but I just don't want to invest more than I need to. I'd like 8 tracks simultaneous recording ability. If you suggest digital, why, and which products?

Mark

MGS, things recorded digital are much easier to manipulate after the fact.
I bought the fostex vf16 and I am very pleased with it.Although it is a bit overwelming for an analog-junkie like me,I can record and mix down directly to pc and send it home to Mom!!
It suits my needs perfectly.I puchased it from Fullcompass for 969.00{list-1399.00}.
This is my opinion and I hope that you get more input than just mine!
good luck..Ginzoo

MGS said:
Money is not a concern, but I just don't want to invest more than I need to. I'd like 8 tracks simultaneous recording ability. If you suggest digital, why, and which products?

If money isn't a concern, then go digital for Petes sake! :)
However, 8-tracks at the same time with digital is going to cost ya... You might want to look at the Fostex HD recorders, they come in both 8, and 16-track versions, with and without mixers...

D-108: $1095 at zzounds. 8-track recorder.
D-160: $2795 at zzounds. 16-track recorder.
VF-16: $dontknow. ( $1400?). 16-track porta.

If money IS an object, you might wanna compare the D-108 with my Fostex A8-LR. Same thing really, though the A8 uses 1/4" tape. Cost $300. :)

Back