Moving beyond the PODXT?

ahuimanu

I am pleased with my PODXT in many ways and appreciate the tones/options it gives me for silent home recording. However, for some tones, it just doesn't cut it and I realize that. My friend uses an ADA Microcab for his tone for recording and some of his sounds beat the crap out of the PODXT (and the ADA Microcab is 10+ year old technology).

My question is: other than my Trademark 10, is there another quiet option to the PODXT? To to narrow my request, let me clarify:

I KNOW a REAL TOOB AMP is GONNA BE BETTER!!!

So, baring that (no, I don't want to build an ISO box for a TOOB amp either), are there any other pre-amp/tone generation solutions? Specifically, I find some of the harder/overdriven/RAWK patches in the PODXT to be lacking. I know that I am supposed to tweak the amp/room/cab/effects combination to taste, but I just don't think the PODXT is cutting it there - some of the "heavy" patches just sound plain muddy.

Do people get the BBE to overcome this?

I realize this is well-trod ground, but I wonder if there is some holy grail that I am missing? I Do like the GT2 circuit in my Trademark 10 and have been thinking that an ABY splitter to both the PODXT and the Trademark 10 might be the cure - I know many contemporary guitar sounds are from multiple amps and doulbe-tracking.

I should also add that I am interested for the purposes of recording into Cubase SX3.

Thanks...

How about a very quiet amplifier?

There are some classy and not too expensive 1 to ten watt amps out there.

A modeler is always going to sound like a modeler.
You might buy thousands of them before deciding that you need something involving a speaker.

Even running a modeler into a speaker is preferable to running a line-out IMO. It's good to get the sound of the driver(s) moving air.

If you really must have a modeler, then I would try something from the Vox Tonelab series:
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Vox-Valvetronix-ToneLab~ID~2277.asp
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Vox-ToneLabSE~ID~3156.asp

I may be preaching to the choir here so if this is old news to you just forget I said anything :)

For the PODxt, the FX-Boost+EQ stomp does wonders...Brightens and tightens the patch.

Here is a generic setting that is a good starting point for Hi Gain metal that you can tweak to your liking

FX-Boost+EQ

Gain 82%
Bass 28%
Treble 55%
Mid 90%
MidFreq 50%

Try it with the Engl or Big Bottom with gain at about 60% with 2x12 Jazz Cab(Nice and clean) and start tweaking.

Anyway good luck finding your sound. :D

Thanks for the replies thus far...

Codmate: I have a Tech21 Trademark 10, which is a 10-watt "recording" amp. I like it, but there are times, late in the evening, when that is too loud. So, I end up just using its direct out, which is a Sansamp GT-2 circuit.

Etnoziroh...

Thanks! those are the types of tips I was hoping for (which is why I mentioned the BBE). I'll try your tip as soon as I'm able.

THD Univalve...has a built in hot plate (turn it down to a whisper or all the way off) and, it has a line out if you would rather direct record. You can use the line out with no speaker cab at all...impedance matching is taken care of internally.

I've got it and love it. I also have a PODxt...they're neat but I can't stand to use them as the only source.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/univalve.htm

There's a forum you can check out too...http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/univalve.htm

It will turn you into a tube hound...mix-n-match tubes all day long without having to rebias the amp. This is no toy...crank the gain all the way up into saturation city then when the kids are sleepin, turn the attenuator down but keep the over-drive sound going.

I have no affiliation with this company except for being a very satisfied customer. Prices vary wildly on these things...the best new/not used price I've found was at AVATAR Speakers (avatarspeakers.com). They have killer prices and excellent quality speaker cabinets too.

Last edited:
punkin said:
THD Univalve...has a built in hot plate (turn it down to a whisper or all the way off) and, it has a line out if you would rather direct record. You can use the line out with no speaker cab at all...impedance matching is taken care of internally.

I've got it and love it. I also have a PODxt...they're neat but I can't stand to use them as the only source.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/univalve.htm

There's a forum you can check out too...http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/univalve.htm

It will turn you into a tube hound...mix-n-match tubes all day long without having to rebias the amp. This is no toy...crank the gain all the way up into saturation city then when the kids are sleepin, turn the attenuator down but keep the over-drive sound going.

I have no affiliation with this company except for being a very satisfied customer. Prices vary wildly on these things...the best new/not used price I've found was at AVATAR Speakers (avatarspeakers.com). They have killer prices and excellent quality speaker cabinets too.

Hey, thanks for the tip, I'll go and check that out. I've seen a similar product from Hughes and Kettner...

My friend swears by his ADA Microcab, which I thought would be a pre-historic POD, but perhaps the POD tries to be all things to everyone...

Be aware,...this is no amp modeller...it's a real tube head but nice an flexible for the studio...just fyi.

I'm concerned that the Tonelab won't be much different than the POD.

Mind you, the POD is VERY useful and I am not looking to chuck it, but some of the heavier tones are hard to get.

The THD seems cool, but it is also high up there in the $$$ department.

ahuimanu said:
I'm concerned that the Tonelab won't be much different than the POD.

Mind you, the POD is VERY useful and I am not looking to chuck it, but some of the heavier tones are hard to get.

The THD seems cool, but it is also high up there in the $$$ department.

I've heard that the Tonelab is litteraly streets ahead of the competition.
Why not get down a music store and give one a burn?

You could also get something like a Mesa Rectifier recording pre or a Triaxis and go direct out. They are made for that and you would still have an awesome piece of equipment for live use that ALWAYS retains its quality and value.

I've heard of the Triaxis before.

I am not ENTIRELY dissatisfied with my modeler; I just want some supplement for heavy tones. I still feel that the value-per-dollar for the PodXT is high.

I'm racking up some great suggestions and thank you all for them.

For heavy tones, get the V-AMP!
I have jammed with guys that had PODS, and heard recordings from the tonelab, and the V-AMP beats them both when it comes to heavy, high gain tones. Not saying the V-AMP is the END ALL, BE ALL of modelers, I think they all have strengths and weaknesses to consider, but for metal, the V-AMP has them beat. Here is a link to some V-AMP samples I uploaded. They are just rough riff ideas that I recorded, I use my V-AMP kinda like a scratch pad, but you can at least get an idea of the kinda tone you can get with one.

http://www.texasimedia.com/michaelc/V-AMP.asp

I also like to use the tone editor software, and download some tones that others have made. I have come across some pretty good ones that sound decent line out.

I also get the best sound out of my XTlive by running it out of the phone out into a board, and then through Alesis Monitors. I have also tried a couple amps with it, and got some decent sounds, but nothing great. Probably better clean tones with a combo amp then line it.

I am still experimenting though.

Back