Mounting panels on drywall

superelixir

I'm in the process of treating my bedroom--I've mounted a bass trap in each wall-to-wall corner, and now I have 10 panels to mount (2 inch fiberglass in a 2'x4'x4" frame). I am a bit concerned about mounting these panels in drywall, because some of the panels will be suspended over my head as I work/sleep...

Each panel is roughly 10 to 15 pounds. Two are suspended from the ceiling above the mixing position. One is mounted using two hooks screwed into studs (which luckily happened to be right above where I drilled). The other is mounted using two toggle bolts (with chain going across the short side of the panel and attaching to the hooks).

Two more panels are mounted in the wall-ceiling corners, parallel to the ceiling panels. I used two wall hooks to support the bottom edge, and then secured the top edge to a hook using chain. One of the hooks is screwed into a stud (I'm not worried about that one) and the other uses a toggle bolt (right next to the panel suspended from two toggle bolts). I'm worried about how secure these toggle bolts are--is it safe to hang so much weight from the ceiling? Is there any chance that the ceiling will wear out over time, and the panel will decapitate me in my sleep?

Finally, is there any limit to the amount of weight I can hang from the walls? I'm planning to mount 6 more panels (each ~13 pounds) from the walls, each using two picture hooks. Is it okay to hang these from the drywall, or should I be looking for studs? Four of the panels are going directly under the wall-ceiling corner panels (sorry if this terminology is confusing), so there will be over 30 pounds distributed along a small section of wall (<1' x 4') on either side.

Sorry for the wordy post--I am just worried that in my quest to create a reflection-free zone (making these panels was quite a journey...), I might have compromised the safety/structural integrity of my bedroom. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Studs are great, but heavy duty bulldog (picture hanging hooks) are fine. Overhead, same thing. I like to get one edge a stud if I can and toggle bolts are more than enough to hold them up.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking originally. When I pulled down on the hooks, they felt like they'd be able to hold a lot of weight. But then I started second guessing myself, searched the internet for advice, and found all sorts of people saying it's a BAD idea to hang heavy objects from drywall...

The flutter echo is starting to disappear...

3lSM3C4.jpg

Attachments

• 20130806_192627.jpg
    20130806_192627.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
One thing you might consider are small turnbuckles so you can (A) have some air space behind them and (B) adjust the angle.

Lemme see if I have a photo of the "cloud" --

Attachments

• IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
They have a pretty sizable air gap as is (I built a 2 inch air gap into the frames and they're suspended 3 inches from the ceiling), but I wish I had thought of using turnbuckles. I could've even used them to attach the chain to the screw eyes (in the panel) so that I could adjust the length of chain on either side of the hook.

When I was making the right-hand ceiling panel, I (absent-mindedly) used chain with an even number of links, so when I went to hang I couldn't balance it. As a result it slightly tilts to one side... :facepalm:

Back