MOTU vs RME

Mach5

I am thinking of getting a MOTU 828mkII or a RME Multiface with the PCI card. Anyone have any preferences? I am using a PC.

MOTU is known to be very finnicky when it comes PC compatibility. RME is known to be rock solid. RME is also known for having much better converters. If the RME does what you need it to do (feature wise) it seems like a no brainer to me. Unless of course you are on a mac.

i own a multiface and i absolutly love it, it's rock solid and has great converters. A couple of friends (who are on pc) have owned a motu 828mkII but have always complained about stability and crackling knobs. In the end one friend couldn't even get his pc to recognize his 828mkII after a fresh reinstall... he had to sell his 828 and buy a different soundcard.

I've been running a MOTU (2408 mkII) for years on two different PCs with NO problems.

My next interface will hopefully be a RME Fireface. It's got their QuadMic pres built in on four channels, and the ADI converters. Great reputation for stability. Top notch stuff!

MOTU is supposed to be pretty good, too.

MOTU 2408 mk2 worked great when I bought it. Then I upgraded my CPU. At that point it wouldn't work at all. MOTU actually expected me to ship them my whole PC at my expense for 3 to 5 weeks so they could figure out why. That is completely unacceptable to me. Thats when I bought my RME. Never a soundcard problem EVER for about 2 1/2 years now. 6 months ago I got a whole new system again, and now the MOTU installs properly. IF you get a MOTU and it installs properly, they are reliable. If not, the will be the biggest headache you have ever had.

I just bought a Fireface for $1249.00. Freaking awesome sound quality. Their software routing has quite a learning curve. Drivers are flawless. Very glad I bought it. Miles above my Delta 1010.

Got the Fireface 800 a month ago, but due to lack of time I have only started using it now. I have spent 3 days in vain trying to make it work with Sonar 4. However, it looks like a Sonar problem. And I have had loads of support from RME, which is how we localized the problem source. Only, I have not solved this yet. In the process I tried a Samplitude demo and using a simple wav-file it sounded fine and worked with all drivers.

I use it with Sonar 4 myself. PM me if you want to get my audio settings. Over the phone would be easiest. Ill give ya my number.

Back