which one has a better preamps?
which one sounds better?
which one have a lower latency?

and which one will fit me better?
i have a pc, pentium 4, 3 giga herz
i use cubase sx 3 for recording...

studiomaster said:
MOTU blows away echo.

Actually, Echo is one of those brands that pretty much delivers the goods. Simply in terms of sound quality, durability and driver stability ... the Echo doesn't actually get blown away by anything. They're the real deal. Although everyone is entitled to an opinion, I think this particular one is off-base.

Maybe Chessrock can answer this, i have asked before but did not get an answer.

Is the echo layla 24/96 essetnially hte same unit as the G3 minus the preamps?
If so, it is a great deal (can be picked up for 200-300 these days) and the saved money can be put toward outboard pres that would probabaly be better than those on the unit. I am very pleased with the 24/96, has been reliable (and i got mine used) and the sound wuality is great (in my imited experience).

Daav.

Just purchased an Ultralite, and I'm very pleased and a bit impressed but unfortunately I don't have any experience with Echo. Up to now I like my Ultralite's preamp's better than my RNP's.

i heard there are some compatibility problems in the MOTU 896... and the preamps sound digital, too clean, sterile, colorless...
a person from other forum wrote to me as a response:

"I've got a MOTU 896 connected via firewire. It sent me through some hellacious predicaments with compatibility. Also, the sound is sometimes too clean, almost surreal. I'd have to color it with somethimg like compression or tube mic pre just to get it to gel with groovin' music. Moreover, I had to send one 986 back cause its' whole pre section started to crap out... I have a second one that is starting to have problems now. Ever since these issues, I've been super skeptical about MOTU. When the going got rough, their tech support was rude and unacconmidating on a few occaisions."

is it true? is it the same with the ultralite?
i heard the echo dont have this kind of problems.

Well I mainly recorded vocals and acoustic guitars with the Ultralite and I feel it sounded warmer than with my RNP into my LynxOne. Maybe the change just fits my taste though, or maybe recording for the first time with a Mac has something to do with it. I'll post more feedback when I exploit it more intensly.

IMHO, when it comes to interfaces, working is the most important thing in the world. Features, preamp quality, bundles, etc. all take a backseat to simply working.

I know around school, I've seen far more problems with MOTU gear (especially driver/configuration related) compared to Echo, and while there are relatively few Echo users (I know one Layla3g user and 2 old Mona users) I've never heard problems from them.

Of course, this is from the guy who just adores his E-mu.

You ask which interface will fit you better...well, get the one that works. Find a dealer that will let you return a sound card if it does not jive with your system (My local Sam Ash is nice about it, and online American Musical Supply is cool as well). If it works, then it works, and you are set.

Oh, I have dealt with MOTU for their software products and I too have had bad experiences with their tech support...

hmmm i live in israel and it's all very pricey here so i think i will get it on ebay or maximum music123... so your plan doesnt fits me...

I have nothing but good things to say about the Layla 3G. It has worked perfectly since I installed it and I have had zero issues with it.

What he said; Layla 3G: no issues (despite what I've said earlier, t'was my DAW fcked up), great converters, great sound, prompt reply from support.

thanks!!
and studiomaster - whats do you think is better on the motu?
converters? preamps? overall sound? the support? compatibility?
and the motu you worked with, is it the ultralite?

Nope, i have the MOTU 828mkII. the converters and preamps are really good. the support is really bad though, because the tech support heads are a bunch of rude idiots. well, i still have some compatibility issues with the motu on my PC. but i'm too lazy to reformat my PC now to see if the problem gets eliminated. the problem is some high pitched sound or glitches or crackles. but this occurs in rare occassions. i guess, macs are the best way to go with motu products. even cause of this little problem, it doesn't bother me. i still love my motu 828.

ok thanks dude!
i really think i should go with the echo... i have pc and it fits it better, and i wont need to buy a firewire card for my pc... thanks!!

Back