Motu MTP AV parallel port

rokko

Hi everyone.

I have the chance to get a second hand Motu MPT AV for arround $200. I already own a Midman 4x4 USB. Do you think the Motu is and overly superior unit?

Thanx in advance.

Rocco.

rokko said:
Hi everyone.

I have the chance to get a second hand Motu MPT AV for arround $200. I already own a Midman 4x4 USB. Do you think the Motu is and overly superior unit?

Thanx in advance.

Rocco.

If you mean the MTP, then it's a different beast. What are you looking for?
If all you need are midi ports, and 4 is sufficent for your needs, then you don't stand to gain anything.

However, if you want to take advantage of the extra 4 ports, or SMTPE or MIDI clock, then the unit is worth using.

Also, is the MTP the serial or USB version?

I use a serial MTP that I've had forever. Does the job fine for me, and I use midi extensively. I actually use all of my 12 available ports. I would use 16 if I could :)

Hi fraserhutch

actually 4 inputs and 4 outputs may be enough for me. Basically using a couple of expanders, a motormix and some midi controllable fx units in the near future. I also have and ADAT XT that i might need to sync eventually (just for transfer).
This is a pararell port unit. I was wondering if changing to Midi Time Piece AV might represent any benefit in terms of latency, tightness and driver issues.

Thanx for your help.

I don't believe so.

IO also use a Roland Super MPU64, and I notice no difference on latency.
Midi throughput is fixed regardless of the unit, given that drivers are decent.

Back