MOTU MIDI Timepiece II and Windows?

Because it is not straight-forward (it has the DB9 MAC serial connectors on it) and there are details to it that I cannot remember. And I also cannot find the original post I made on a forum that I cannot remember.

:)

Brandon

I have a Midi Timepiece AV parallel version that works great on Windows and XP.
It *is* that straightforward. Just install it and try it!

Because it is not straight-forward (it has the DB9 MAC serial connectors on it) and there are details to it that I cannot remember. And I also cannot find the original post I made on a forum that I cannot remember.

:)

Brandon

MTP II will not work with XP or Vista. I created a cable following instructions here: http://www.gweep.net/~prefect/eng/mtp2/ and then tried using Motu's software installed on Mac OS 9 in a PPC emulator (SheepShaver) even this did not work. I think it has something to do with the serial timings in the emulator.

I am looking at putting together a driver for windows, but I need a sample of the midi data sent over the wire so I can reverse engineer the protocol.

Long story short: MTP II does not and never will work in XP. It will work in win95 if you buy the ISA card for your computer (computer will need to be very old and you will need to get lucky locating one of the cards).

Thanks bro... thats what I was thinking.

I've heard it can be used as an expansion for other MOTU MIDI interfaces.

Do you know anything about that? Specifically, which ones will it work with?

Thanks much!

Brandon

The manual mentions that you can plug an original MTP into the MTPII network port, maybe some of the newer models could be connected in a similar manner.

So after a quick google search, it looks like the MTP AV with the parallel and serial port can be daisy chained as I stated above, but this kind of configuration is only supported on the mac. Sorry. :mad:

To be honest, I'm trying to find a good use for this thing. It does have some decent manual mapping features but they're a pain to set up and you're left with only 16 channels of input, rather than 128.

Thanks for the reply, bro.

I'm thinking at this point it may be of use in a MIDI guitar setup simply as a repeater. IE, every piece gets its own MIDI cable... my main MIDI signal would come into, say, the 1st input on the Timepiece II and just be mirrored to the other 8 outputs so each piece of my rack would get the signal at the same time. I would think this unit should be able to do that fairly easily... but I'll have to play around with it to actually see if it will do it. Beats paying $150 for a MIDI repeater type device, though. :)

Thanks again!

Brandon

Back