Motu MIDI express parallel and windows xp

lykwydchykyn

I recently bought a used MOTU midi express (parallel port version, not USB), and I'm using it with Sonar on windows xp home. I downloaded the latest drivers from the MOTU site, but I have had several errors. For one, it keeps losing the device and I have to run the lpt scan utility multiple times to get Sonar to see the device again. Also, I get an error when my machine tries to go into standby that the MIDI express driver is preventing it.

I emailed MOTU tech support about it but the best they could say was that they're "working on the issue". Considering that both the MIDI express and windows XP have been around for years, I'm not counting on them coming up with a solution.

Anyone else using this device with winxp? Any solutions or workarounds?

lykwydchykyn said:
Considering that both the MIDI express and windows XP have been around for years
It could be that there was a problem with one of the patches from Microsoft? I don't know... just a shot in the dark.

Do what I did. Create another bootable partition (preferably with Windows for Workgroups 3.11, but Windows 9x works too).

Reboot when you need to tweak your MOTU (which shouldn't be too often, there are 8 user programmable presets).

WFW 3.x only takes up a few meg in my extended logical partition and works great with the MOTO XP.

Carl

the problem is, I use it as a MIDI interface, so I can't exactly just uninstall it. When I lose the device in XP, I can't use it as a MIDI port either. I don't really utilize the presets much, it's just a flexible MIDI interface at this point.

Back