MOTU MicroBook II -

Mogalot55

I am just about to start recording at home - (just acoustic guitar,vocals and piano initially)

I have no idea at all whats good and whats not for what I have in mind so I am basically going in blind.

Can anynone reccomend this product, or indeed give me some suggestions for others??

I know next to nothing and dont want to wind up with something thats too complicated etc

Thanks guys

Not going to knock MOTU. Great preamps, good features. 6x4 interface. Problem is, if you're planning to use a keyboard, it has no midi. I run mine usb midi anyway, so that's not probably a problem either.
OTOH, you can pick up my first choice in great interfaces (Native Instruments KA6) for about $150 less. And it has midi and SPDIF in/out instead of just out. AND it is one of the easiest to use interfaces (one big knob).
The built in DSP and effects are inflexible and not probably up to the quality you'd get from plugs and real effects rackmount equipment, which is likely what you're paying the extra for. For a beginner, probably not a good choice. You'll notice the high priced gear (Antelope, RME, MOTU, etc.) all have DSP/effects, but most of the entry level units do not.
There are many good interfaces out there that will meet your needs. Look over the Audio Interface Comparison Chart that I posted. It has all kinds of information. From your need, I would recommend looking at Tascam US366, Steinberg UR44, Focusrite 2i4 or 6i6, the Aphex IN2 and of course the Komplete Audio 6. Get some info and specs/prices on these and see what's what.

---------- Update ----------

Also, read lots of stickies to keep from asking over asked questions. There's lots of useful information on this site. You will be amazed! :eek:
Happy Recording :D

Back