MOTU Cue-Mix DSP

blueroommusic

you want this big boy?
I'm still building my studio, and I've read the manual for the 896HD, but it still sort of doesn't make sense to me. can anyone put this concept in simpler terms for me?

What is it that you want to know about it?
Picture CueMix as a stand-alone 4 stereo bus mixer (albeit limited as opposed to a full-blown mixer).
CueMix is essentially a direct monitoring facility of the MOTU. It doesn't really apply to whats being sent to your sequencer in your computer. Other than the fact that the driver allows for the output of mix bus 1 to appear as additional inputs (two mono or one stereo) in your sequencer. The gain staging for whats being recorded to the DAW needs to be made via the gain/trim controls of the preamps or at the output of any line level device you may be connecting.
Fader setting in CueMix have no effect on the levels sent to the DAW. Except, of course, in the above scenario with the output of mix bus 1 appearing as inputs in your DAW (if you use that function).
If there is anything specific you wish to know, myself or any of the other members on this board that use a similar MOTU should be able to help ya out.

Hope that helps some.

A simple way to think of Cue-Mix would be:
Picture yourself recording a 4 piece band (lets say drums, bass, guitar, and vocals) Let's say that they all wanted to record at the same time, without overdubbing each player individually (rare sometimes but does happen). Now, while they are recording, you put them in separate places so that you can isolate the sounds a bit, and they all have to wear headphones to hear each other. Cue mix lets you make 4-separate stereo submixes on the fly. So while they are recording, you can give the vocalist less guitar, and more bass, maybe give the guitar player mostly drums and vocals, the bass maybe wants only drums in his phones, and so on. Cue-mix allows you to give them each a mix while not affecting the levels that are being recorded to your computer.

I think i've figured this stuff out... I can run all 8 outputs into my patchbay. once i'm tracking a band, connect those outputs to the inputs (on the patchbay) of my headphone amp, and have 4 seperate stereo mixes? is that pretty much the gist of this thing?

Back