motu and pro tools

NO interface hardware is compatible with Pro Tools except that produced by Digidesign (except for Pro Tools Free which is a piece of crap).

Don't forget about "Pro Tools M-Powered", which works with certain M-Audio interfaces (not all of them). But aside from that, MadAudio speaks the gospel truth...

which is better

so if i get pro tools il have to get a digi002 or whatever???
and which do you think is better pro tools hardware & software or MOTU hardware & software??
dont tell me that there is no best because we are not talking microphones or preamps here :rolleyes: i dont think there is any "fit the application" nonsense attached to it ( :mad: boy do i hate those things)
just come out clean and tell me which is better please :) !!

mr. produca said:
so if i get pro tools il have to get a digi002 or whatever???
and which do you think is better pro tools hardware & software or MOTU hardware & software??
dont tell me that there is no best because we are not talking microphones or preamps here :rolleyes: i dont think there is any "fit the application" nonsense attached to it ( :mad: boy do i hate those things)
just come out clean and tell me which is better please :) !!

no, if you get the Digi002 you get Pro Tools....not the other way around.
And you answered your question within your own post. They both do pretty much the same things, so there isn't a best. There is only a personal preference. Some people like Pro Tools better, others like DP better, others like Cubase better, others like a Red car, others like a Blue car. It's all opinion. Yes there are slight difference between them both that can help 'suade your judgement, but you have to find out for yourself what a lot of those are by using the programs.
Know this though, DP an MOTU in general got their start doing MIDI...so they are best known for their MIDI capabilities. Digi did audio originally, so they are best known for their audio work.
Do a search on these forms. There have been a lot of pro tools arguments that you can find. But asking which software is the best is actually even harder than asking which Mic is the best. One is based mostly on opinion while the other is based on the physical design, application and SOUND of the product.

Last edited:
Yo Produca! Pro Tools is, how-you-say, firmware. The software comes packaged in Digidesign's rather good hardware, and you *can't* use it in any way, shape, or form, without going through Digidesign's hardware. There is a pure software version of PT, and it is a $10,000 program! The version used in their firmware products is Pro Tools LE. I've been using the 002 mixer version now for about a year and it has worked like a charm and never messed me up.-Richie

Also to flip flop things around, you can run MOTU's DP on certain Pro Tools Hardware by setting DP to run off the Digidesign audio engine. But not vise versa, as stated above.

I thought the 10,000 dollar version of pro tools was still hardware thought you had to buy the accel pci cards.

The $10000 version uses the farm cards, and you still need to use their interfaces. It turns into a $30000 system pretty quickly.

It was for that very reason I picked nuendo. I can use it with any interface I want. I can start small and upgrade. I am using MOTU interfaces now. I have all the functionality of Protools HD (at least for my, strictly audio, applications) at about 1/10 the price.

the motu products look so bad ass! looks like something out of a star wars movie with those lights.it sucks they arent compatible,well im not on that level yet anyway..

I stand corrected. But what the hell do I know. I'm not at the $10,000 level either. In general, I have found the 002 to be a pretty good system, overall.-Richie

Farview said:
The $10000 version uses the farm cards, and you still need to use their interfaces. It turns into a $30000 system pretty quickly.

$10,000 does buy you a system to start off of (and the Farm cards were used in the Mix systems...not in the HD ones ;) ). The cheapest I/O is the 96I/O which has a list price of $2000. Then you have to buy a Core card which comes with the software and runs a list price of about $8000. Total of about $10,000 for 16 channels of input and running 96 tracks with no CPU strain.

You can get up to about $16,000 minimum list price which will give you 16 channels of I/O (96 I/O with an HD3 Accel) and upgradeable to a total of 96 channels of I/O simultaneously. It'll run you about $38,000 list to max out the entire system at 192kHz.

Last edited:
Your right, last time I was looking was when they still had the mix plus system and I needed 40 channels of I/O. At the time it was 16 bit and at $3000 for 8 Channels, plus the farm cards, over-priced pluggins, and not being able to use anything but their (now admittedly) crappy I/O, I passed on it and never looked back.

Farview said:
Your right, last time I was looking was when they still had the mix plus system and I needed 40 channels of I/O. At the time it was 16 bit and at $3000 for 8 Channels, plus the farm cards, over-priced pluggins, and not being able to use anything but their (now admittedly) crappy I/O, I passed on it and never looked back.

lol, and i still use it
;)

mr. produca said:
dont tell me that there is no best because we are not talking microphones or preamps here :rolleyes:
There's no best.

Audio software and interfaces are no different from mics and preamps in that it's all about personal preference. I was shopping for an interface and was trying to decide between a Digi002/Protools setup and a Motu 828mkII/Sonar setup. Is one better than the other? Not really...they're just different. I chose the Motu/Sonar route both because I like the Sonar interface and workflow, and because I like the extra compatability with different hardware/software.

Back