Motu 8pre firewire cable

stillnoname

Hi, I am planning to buy a Motu 8pre very soon. My laptop has a 4 pin firewire port on it for use with cameras etc. From what I can tell, the 8pre uses a 6 pin firewire connector. I have seen firewire cables that have 6 pin on one side and 4 on the other. Will this work ok with the 8pre? Or do I need to get a firewire expansion card for my laptop that has the 6 pin connectors? I just don't want to buy anything that I don't have to. Any thoughts? Thanks.

You should only need an expansion card if the FireWire chipset on your laptop is something weird/broken. If it's something sane (e.g. a TI or Lucent chipset), buy the cable and you should be fine.

It's an HP dv6335 laptop. Based on a quick google search, some other HP's use a RICOH firewire chipset. Does anyone know if this is ok or if it has any problems? Based on a quick search through these forums, it seems some people have problems with RICOH. I guess I'll just try it out and see once I get it. What are common problems to look out for?

You will more than likely have issues with a MOTU unit and RICOH Firewire chipset. If it happens to work, you're very lucky and in a very small percentage.

Yup - that firewire chipset is unlikely to work with MOTU.
You need Texas Instruments or Alcatel/Lucent

You will more than likely have issues with a MOTU unit and RICOH Firewire chipset. If it happens to work, you're very lucky and in a very small percentage.

From what I've read, you'll be lucky if anything work with the RICOH chipset, regardless of who made it. Apparently, the RICOH chipset even has problems supporting hard drives without generating errors.... I wish these fly-by-night junk FireWire chipset vendors would all shrivel up and file for Chapter 11 already.

If it weren't for companies cutting corners massively even with a severe cost in usability (Dell, HP, I'm looking at you), these dipshits wouldn't be making these chips. I wish Dell and HP would similarly shrivel up and file for Chapter 11 already so that maybe we'd get more PC vendors who care about quality as much as they care about maximizing their profit margin....

MOTU requires a TI or Lucent firewire chipset.

You can use a 4pin-to-6pin firewire cable just fine.

(I have a Motu828mkII on my XP laptop with a 6-to-4 cable with ZERO problems, and the 828mkII is daisy-chained to a Glyph firewire drive.)

Back