motu 8pre compatibility

KingHarvest

I have a MOTU 8pre USB. These can be expanded upon, or serve as an expansion for another core system via ADAT.

I have what feels like a stupid question with an obvious answer, however I've no experience with ADAT so i'm not certain.

So I leave the 8pre where we rehearse, and I've been thinking that I would really like to be able to record tracks at home as well. I'd prefer not to have to tote it back & forth, I've got enough to carry w/my guitar, amp, pedalboard, etc.

My questions are:

1) If i buy a used MOTU 8pre Firewire interface to use at home, will this be compatible via it's ADAT out with my 8pre USB should I want to bring it with me to expand to 16 tracks of live recording? (I would use 8pre USB as interface, Firewire to serve as expansion at rehearsal if that matters, but if for some reason I wanted to bring the 8pre USB home I would then do the opposite.)

2) If a track is recorded via 8pre USB, will there be any issues with me recording/monitoring through an 8pre Firewire interface at home & vice versa?

I can't think of any reasons personally why this shouldn't work, but I'm hoping someone has actually tried it or is otherwise more certain about it than me.

Thanks in advance!

Back