Motu 896

Divine

The Ultimate
This is a qoute from a mailing list I am on...

"I just received my January issue of Recording ... this looks like quite
an interesting little device to put it mildly ... 8 XLR outs ... 8
TRS/XLR ins with mic-pres, phantom power ... ADAT i/o and sync ... AES/EBU
in and out ... word clock in and out ... meters galore .... 24 bit/96k "

"... and firewire"

Anyone have any info to share about this ???

If you're talking about the 828's they're pretty cool firewire units. If you are planning on using it with a laptop watch out for the 4500 rpm hard drive speed. It's too slow for anything more than a few tracks. I use a firewire hard drive with my laptop and can get about 18 to 24 tracks easily. Haven't tried it with a desktop though.
-Jamie

Hey, I'm trying to get my external firewire drive to work good too -- but i get blips in my audio while recording when the external drive writes -- how do you have it cabled? Are you running on the same firewire bus?

Tell me tell me!
Mo.

I have a PC card that has two firewire plug spaces. So I plug the HD into one and the MOTU into another. I was having some problems with the hard drive crapping out on me and not being detected all of a sudden but it seems to be working fine now. I just changed the ports that the devices were plugged into. It didn't work so well when I chained the MOTU 828 into the HD though.

Yeah, that's how i have it right now, but everytime the drive writes it blips my audio. What PC Card do you have? I have a cheapo from netlux, maybe thats the problem.

Mo.

I emailed Recording magazine and they confirmed that MOTU 896 is a real piece of gear!
Official word from MOTU should be coming soon...

Be on the look out!

Sounds like a cool piece of gear. I have always been skeptical of firewire and usb recording devices. Seems like they would be too slow.

Everyone seems to tell me that USB & Firewire are fine for recording. I would assume this is true since more and more machines will use this as the interface with the computer.

Divine said:
Everyone seems to tell me that USB & Firewire are fine for recording. I would assume this is true since more and more machines will use this as the interface with the computer.

I am researching it right now. *laugh* I just dont see how it could be fast enough. Firewire maybe, but USB? My usb burner is one slow piggy.

Firewire is fast enough. They are coming out with firewire 2 protocols soon that double current firewire bandwidths. However, machines made now will probably not be able to take advantage of this unless you have something like the metric halo unit.

I have heard several people say they use Firwire to record multiple tracks and playback. The 828 is not very popular for no reason.
As far as USB well no one really has a USB machine for recording anyways. They all seem to be powered of firewire (As fas as I know).

Back