Motu 896 vs 896HD

bbh03

Hi,

Anyone know what exactly are the differences here? Having trouble finding info on the older 896 model.

Thanks,

Brian

The differences that I knew of where higher sample rates (192 kHz) and supposedly better preamps (perhaps op-amp upgrades) in the HD. I owned the original 896 at one time and thought about upgrading, but decided not to. I never liked the pre's on the 896, and from searching the Net forums, the 896HD wasn't a major increase in quality. In general, I like the 896 and thought it was a nice piece.

I think the MOTU site used to have specs on the 896, but this was a couple years back before the now new 896HD Mark 3.

Either one should go directly to Black Lion Audio for an inexpensive mod - with impressive results.

I use a BLA modded 896HD, and don't have any plans to replace it soon.

Yes, they both have optical in/outs, so you can use either one as your interface, and run the other one into it.

I see. So I have one of each here. I have no problem with the 896, works great, but the 896HD is not recognized by the computer (mac pro) or the drivers (Motu audio setup - newest version). Do I have to use the optical? I'll give it a try. I was under the impression that the firewire between them was the way to do it? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Edit - just tried an optical link (out from the slave unit, 896HD, and in to the 896 which is connected to the computer via firewire). Same problem - the clock on convert lights on the HD just blink on and off. Also tried with both cables.

Brian

Last edited:
DOA unit. Ship it back and get a new one or call MOTU and they'll swap it out for you.

Back