Motu 896 Headphone Problem

Donnie Barren

I have a Motu 896 96Khz Firewire audio interface, and for some reason the headphone/monitor level knobs don’t seem to work properly. When I flip the toggle switch up so it’s on the “main out + headphones” I seem to get the right response – the sound comes over the self powered M-Audio Studiophile SP-5B monitors as well as over the headphones, and it can be controlled with the volume control (the monitor level knob doesn’t seem to affect anything). However, if I switch the toggle switch down to the “headphones only” position, the headphones don’t work, neither volume knob works, but I get the sound through the monitor speakers at the same volume as I would with the “main out + headpones” set at 2:00 (so it’s very loud!).

This has happened from the day I got the unit, but Guitar Center merely said that the system is a 0dB unit and that’s how it’s supposed to work (which I accepted since I figured they knew what they were talking about). However, now that I’m trying to record more than just keyboards (i.e., I’ spent a few hours last night recording vocals), it just doesn’t work unless I physically unplug my monitor speakers when I record and then plug them back in to hear the playback, which is impractical. Does anyone know what I need to do to make this work?

By the way, I tried calling Motu several times today at 617 576 3066 but the line was always busy. Hmmmm....

How do you have headphone output configured in the CueMix console?

Not trying to be an ass here, but all of this is covered in the user manual (which is quite good btw).

Yeah .... Also you most likely need to look in the MOTU's control panel and see how you have the headphone out configured. It can be an output of it's own or it can mimic the main out.

Back