MOTU 828mkII Interface compatiable with Mbox 2 and ProTools?

pisces7378

I know that Digidesign are hell bent on leather about keeping their software tied to their hardware. So I know that I cannot use my MOTU 828mkII with ProTools LE that comes with the Mobx 2 that I am about to buy.

I was wondering if the 828mkII Firewire interface were somehow compatiable for use with the Mbox2 to add a couple more inputs/pre-amps?

Here's my situation. I have an 828mkII and have used it with Logic Audio Platinum v.5.5.1 on a PC for a long time. I have since been exposed to ProTools LE through friends, and I just find the software way better and way more intuitive. Plus I do a lot of post for film/video and I find that ProTools works very well with Avid Xpress Pro(same parent company). But I like to record my own solo music as well.

Now, I do not need the extra I/O's on the 828mkII. So far I have never used more than the two front side XLR Pre-amps. So I am seriously thinking about selling the MOTU 828mkII once I get the Mbox 2.
But, I have also been seriously been considering recording a set of drums. Now, I record drums jazz style with a lot less mics. I'd only need four analog inputs. The Mbox2 comes with two pre-amps, and the 828mkII has two pre-amps. They both have S/PDIF ins and outs as well.

So, anyway do you guys know if it would be possible for me to use the Mbox2 and the MOTU 828mkII simultaniously into ProTools somehow to achieve my 4 channels of analog I/O. Well I mean, 2 channels of Mbox2 analog in, and two channels coming from the 828mkII via S/PDIF into the Mbox2.

Alright, now even I'm confused.

Hopefully you guys can see what I mean.

Thanks for your help!
Michael

not unless the MOTU is able to send signal straight from the preamps to the S/PDIF outputs...which I doubt it can.
Remember, the MOTU is an audio interface. It converts to digital and sends the signal onto your computer. The computer software is where you are able to send signal out the digital outputs. Pretty much all hardware interfaces are going to send their inputs directly to the computer...NOT to the S/PDIF outputs. If that were the case, the MOTU would just be a mixer/preamp...and not an audio interface.

However, have you thought about using the Mbox with Logic? I'm assuming Logic supports more than one interface at a time. You could just record your drum tracks into there and then export them all into Pro Tools to edit/mix with.

Back