MOTU 828mkii/896 Latency with Digital inputs

dwillis45

Número sesenta nueve
Do the newer MOTU interfaces with CueMix support low latency monitoring when using digital inputs such as TOSLINK?

They sure do.
I get no noticable latency with any of the inputs (digital or analog) through CueMix and direct monitoring on the 828mkII.

crankz1 said:
They sure do.
I get no noticable latency with any of the inputs (digital or analog) through CueMix and direct monitoring on the 828mkII.

Thanks for the reply. Now I'm left with the decision to upgrade hardware or live with the latency issue. I'm overriding the converters on my original MOTU 828 with a Lucid 9624 AD. The converter works great but introduces some annoying latency. I usually address the issue by changing buffer settings but this increases CPU usage and can cause playback problems as the number of tracks/plugins goes up. So I end up changing the setting back from 64 or 128 to 512 or higher. My computer setup (IMac G5 2GHz w/ 1.5GB RAM running Digital Performer 4.5.2) is fairly new so I'm considering a replacement for the MOTU 828. Basically I'm just trying to make sure that new hardware will deal with the problem. I'm a little concerned that the latency might be a function of my monitoring setup. In order to hear the digital inputs I have to set DP's input monitoring mode to "monitor through effects." And I'm wondering if this setup or the lack of CueMix hardware/software is responsible. With the original 828, the CueMix hardware does not offer lanecy reduction for digital inputs. And, according to MOTU tech support, there is no CueMix software for an original 828 under OSX.

Back