MOTU 828 MKII not seeing my SP C4's

xiwiwix said:
I have the 48v power on, the Studio Project C4's hooked via a balanced cable, the mics set to -10db, and the MOTU isn't picking up any sound from them. Please help.

Windows XP SP2, Cubase SX 3

Take Care

Just to clear this up, you have your mics connected to the MOTU by xlr cables into the xlr preamps, correct? Do you have your track inputs set to the right ones? This is typically user error.

jonnyc said:
Just to clear this up, you have your mics connected to the MOTU by xlr cables into the xlr preamps, correct? Do you have your track inputs set to the right ones? This is typically user error.

I'm using Horizon 25' Black Bal Line XLRF-1/4 Stereo. What do you mean, "Do you have your track inputs set to the right ones?"? I have the mics hooked up to the two front mic pre inputs' Mic1 and Mic 2. Do I need to assign the pres to the mics via Cubase?

Take Care

xiwiwix said:
I'm using Horizon 25' Black Bal Line XLRF-1/4 Stereo. What do you mean, "Do you have your track inputs set to the right ones?"? I have the mics hooked up to the two front mic pre inputs' Mic1 and Mic 2. Do I need to assign the pres to the mics via Cubase?

Take Care

Yes, and make sure there actually running thru pre's and not line ins. In Cubase when you open a blank track there should be an input setting, you have to tell Cubase which inputs you plan to record.

jonnyc said:
Yes, and make sure there actually running thru pre's and not line ins. In Cubase when you open a blank track there should be an input setting, you have to tell Cubase which inputs you plan to record.

Yes, I've hooked up both mic's to the front panel, Mic/Guitar in 1 and Mic/Guitar in 2. I have already told Cubase input 9 and input 10.

I'm going nuts here. Thanks for your help so far, I really need to get this to work.

Take Care

Yes, Cubase says Mic/Guitar 1=Input 9 and Mic/Guitar 1=Input 10.

I added a track and selected mono in 9, named it OvrHd 1, added another track and selected mono in 10, named it OvrHd2, and more tracks for Input 1 (snare), Input 2(floor tom), Input 3(Tom 1), Input 4(bass drum trigger). In Device Setup/VST System Link I have "No Ports Selected" for ASIO Input, is that right? I need to track 5-7 mics (inputs) at the same time for the Drums. I've done this before just no with con mic's.

Take Care

studiomaster said:
You have to select or enable the ports that are recording and monitor in.

How do I select more than on? It only gives me he options to pick one at a time.

Take Care

I powered the unit down, switched off the V48 and went to the OvrHd 1 mic and hooked up a Shure Beta 57A, powered the unit back, went to the mic, and started talking into the mic and the LEDs light up; they haven't with the C4's.

Take Care

Well I'm stumped, I'm sure I could figure it out if I was there but I've really got no clue. I couldn't see both c4's being defective in the same way.

Here's your problem!

xiwiwix said:
I'm using Horizon 25' Black Bal Line XLRF-1/4 Stereo.

The C4s are condenser microphones and require phantom power. On 99.99999999% of all preamps, the phantom power only runs through the XLR connection. The Shure doesn't need phantom power so you were able to get away with connecting the microphone to the 1/4" input.

You MUST use XLR-XLR cables whenever you are using microphones
;)

Thanks for the reply. The Motu has a 48v switch under the 1/4 connectors; its switched on, isn't that for phantom power? I can only conect 1/4 to the pre's, what cable do I need to get this to work for my situation?

Take Care

Read my reply!!!!! The phantom power is only sent through the XLR inputs! You need a cable with XLR connectors on BOTh ends. Not sure why you can only connect 1/4 to the pres, I'm not familiar with your unit, but EVERY pre I've seen for the 8 years I've been doing this has XLR inputs for microphones.

This is my unit:

Picture of my unit

motu_828mkii_large_rgb.jpg

Take Care

Back