motu 828 mkii and inputs/sources info

gitrokr

im planning on getting an 828. which has the 2 preamps, plus 10 more ins for adding on preamps. then i would like to add an adat preamp, or optical in/out preamp, like the m-audio octane. (please explain adat and optical, and which ones what)

would i be able to record with the analog ins on the motu and from a digital source at the same time simultaneously for a total of like 16 tracks?

please explain any and all you can in this ssubject.
thank you

I use an older MOTU 828 and I’ve never tried both digital and analog inputs running at the same time. So, I don’t have any first hand experience. The MOTU site (MOTU.com), however, says in several places that it’s possible:

“All inputs and outputs are discrete. In other words, using a mic-preamp input does not 'steal' an input from the TRS analog I/O bank, and the headphones and main outputs are available as separate mix destinations. They do not 'mirror' another
output.”

“The 828mkII provides DSP-driven digital mixing and monitoring for all 20 inputs. You can connect mics, guitars, synths and effects processors, and monitor everything from the 828mkII’s main outs or headphone jack with no separate mixer needed and no latency. The 828mkII supports up to four separate stereo monitor mixes assigned to any four digital or analog output pairs. For example, you could set up separate monitor mixes for the main outs and headphone outs, while two additional stereo buses could be used for send/return loops to reverb units or other outboard gear. Each mix can support all 20 inputs (8 TRS analog, 2 mic, 8 ADAT optical digital and stereo SPDIF digital).”

http://www.motu.com/english/motuaudio/828/body.html

Hope this helps.

thank you for reading into the site for me, lots of hte stuff is hard to interpret...if anyone does have first hand experience though please let me know

how do you run your motu though dwillis? what analog gear do you have, as well as digital running into your motu?

Yup ... you can use all 20 inputs. I utilize the ADAT with an 8 channel pre amp with ADAT output along with the 8 line level inputs via inserts from my mixer. I'm not currently using the SPDIF I/O but it is available also.
With the DAW program I use (n-Track) .... I have to use the ASIO drivers to get all of the inputs, but indeed they are all available for use.
Actually ... with n-Track I have the ability to track 22 simultaneous tracks, two of which are the output of Cue Mix DSP mix buss 1.

Typical gear that can be used ..... Just examples theres many others.
SPDIF
ADAT
Line level .... whatever you want that can output line level.

do you think i would be able to use all of the analogs, the adat, and the spdif in cubase sx? not relaly hte cubase since thats only two inputs, but mainly the analog and the digital? im guessing yes, because it uses asio drivers, and since you said you needed the n-track with the asio drivers, well yea. ok, thanks alot.

Just make sure you use the MOTU Firewire Audio drivers in Cubase setup. Not the Steinberg supplied ASIO drivers.

aaahhhh-ok

so if i have cubase installed-just install the motu drivers, they come from a cd, right?

well when i get the unit ande im having trouble, ill pm you or soemthing. thanks alot!

Back