MOTU 828 MK2 vs. Mackie 400F

riffy

I'm trying to decide between 2 pc interfaces, the MOTU 828 MK2 and the Mackie Onyx 400F. Both seem to be very nice units with a good amount of reviews & reputation. I really like the adat provision, onboard metering & flexible signal routing of the MOTU while I also like the touted quality of the Mackie preamps, real inserts & easy dual headphone amp.

I would sell my Yamaha 01V to help pay for this and use my little Mackie VLZ for extra inputs, (I rent a board for more inputs) video apps and live small recordings with my ADAT unit. In my studio it would be used maybe for recording at a time 3-6 tracks, voiceovers, solo singing stuff with 2track music, & me messing around.

Those of you who have either the MOTU 828 MK2 or the Mackie 400F, how do like them? Right now I'm leaning towards the MOTU unit (just have to get passed those idiotic send jacks) Any problems with PC and the MOTU? Any whining noises with either unit?

Whining noise with 400f.

Using with 12-inch Powerbook.

Occasional problems with glitches using Logic.

Mackie has no answer about the whine and says that they have received similar complaints.

I would recommend the Motu.

-Jason

Back