motu 24i overdubbing problems

Capt. Snazzy

i recently purchased a motu 24i and pci 324 card for use with cubase sx and sonar 2 xl, i always assumed that the card would allow me to listen to already recorded tracks as i recorded new ones over. however, i cannot figure out how to make this happen, i've read the book that came with the motu, i've tried various settings in the motu control panel, but it seems that the 24i's outputs can only be set to either computer output, or monitoring of one of the input pairs at a time. is this the sad truth? i really really really don't want to have to use high latency software monitoring, is there any way to make it work otherwise?
i run a fat system, but there is still a good deal of latency in the software monitoring of a live input.
please help!
Thanks in advance.

Capt. Snazzy

You should set your multi-track software to only output whats recorded on "Analog 1-2" or the main outs of the 24i. For hearing tracks that you are playing live go into the start menu and open the pci-324 Cue mix console, thats basically a mixer for all of the inputs, it has a main on or off and an individual track on/off as well as pans and volume for each track, use that to set up a mix of the incoming signals that you will here on the outputs of the 24i combined with the output of your multi-track software.

I really never use it because I run everything through my hardware mixer, but i tried it out when i first installed the card and it had zero, or pretty close to, latency

There's also the possiblility that this is what you were trying and it doesnt work, but i hope not :)

Eric

Back