Motif

The Motif is awesome. If you need a lot of synth firepower, then it's a great way to spend your money. If you dont need quite so much firepower you might be able to get something not as pricey.

It's only really worth it if you need to sampling and sequencing capabilities. You say you need a workstation, so maybe you do need that stuff. If you can have your PC as part of your workstation, though, I wouldn't buy one. No keyboard sequencer can compete with a nice big screen and a mouse.

The sounds are great (I own a Motif 6) but you can get that in the rack. You said you need synth firepower (edit: I guess it wasn't you who said that :D), so if it's only the sounds you are after, I would say the Motif(keyboard) is not worth it. The rack is only $999, a far more attractive price. Then you pick up a MIDI controller keyboard for $200 or so and you are good to go.

All that said, I really don't see how you could go wrong, I love my Motif more than anything in the world! :D

well...i'm definitely looking for a sampler/sequencer for back up percussion tracks...could you tell me more about using my pc for
that?

I'm definitely looking for good sounds as well...maybe i could get
a cheaper keyboard with great sounds and use my pc for the sequencing?

The thing about using a sampler/sequencer inside a keyboard is that your display is only so big, and the amount of available sampling RAM is limited, even by the most powerful synths. On your Motif, should you buy one, you are looking at a screen that's only about 4x2 inches. It can't compare to the ease of use when you have a nice big computer screen in front of you with a great graphical interface.

With a decent PC you can run software samplers that will allow you to load of sound libraries that are many times larger than the 64MB limit you will get on the Motif. You will also be able to manipulate things graphically with your mouse. You can "slice" up audio and stuff, and move things around so easily, without really having to learn as much because the GUI makes things much more intuitive.

With sequencing, the PC is again far superior to any keybaord based sequencer, for much the same reasons. I use Cubasis, which is a cheap, scaled-down version of Cubase. It was only about $90, and it sequences both audio and MIDI.

If I play in a 16 measure piano part, for instance, that I pulled off flawlessly save for a single note somewhere, it can be tedious trying to find and correct that note in the internal sequencer. Otherwise you would have to play it again. Most software sequencers have something like a "piano roll" where you can open the recorded MIDI part on the screen and it shows you where each note begins, ends, the velocity, etc. for every note. It is incredibly easy to understand. Missed that Eb and ended up with an E? just grab that "note" and move it. It's SOOOOOO much easier.

Anyway, if you haven't thought about any of this, you should, The sampler in the Motif is great, and I am glad it's there, but I don't ever use it. There is simply no need, unless I wanted to play live somewhere and needed to load up a few samples. 64MB isn't exactly going to get you too far these days.

I do use the sequencer a lot for capturing ideas quickly, but when I want to do anything serious, I use the PC for sequencing.

One more thing, actually. When using the PC like this, I can record all my MIDI tracks, then record them to audio one at a time, so I can use all the available effects for each voice. When using the internal sequencer, the Motif is limited on the amount of effects you can use. When using the PC to turn my MIDI tracks into audio tracks, I can use a different insert effect on every track if I need to, which allows the beauty of the Motif's voices to really shine through.

The Motif rack is only $1,000. Assuming you were just going for the Motif6, you are saving about $800. That $800 could buy you a good software sampler, a sequencer and MIDI controller.

I don't mean to offend here, but it sort of sounds like you are not 100% sure what you are getting into here. You could get a program like Reason, and a very nice MIDI controller, for less than $500. Reason has it's own sequencer, it's own sampler, and several synths. It has some really incredible sounds, and can be used for any type of music. This might be right up your alley.

I could probably type more, but I am going to quit here. What type of music are you looking to make, anyway?

honestly...i'm not that experienced with sequencing, midi, etc. ..i had a digital recording studio for a couple of years and just moved into my first house...so i'll be buying a new, more powerful pc that is more applicable to recording...

i think the sequencing on the pc sounds like it's right up my alley...i just wanted to have some really cool, unique sounds as well and thought a keyboard might do the trick...i play drums guitar and bass and wanted to use sequencing to have cool percussive tracks in the background...and ad cool sounds when needed...

the stuff i write is in the placebo, coldplay, u2, genre...kinda..

your input is most helpful....i do appreciate it.

I would go software if I were you. The Motif is more of a keyboardists instrument, if you ask me. If you are looking to record, you don't need a Motif. If you wanted to play keys live I would say go for it, but you could get something that would help you just as well for far less money.

I am not saying Motif isn't worth the money, because it is.

Reason will do all you need and more, and is really easy to use, very fun, and cheap, not to mention great sounding. Let me suggest something to you and see what you think.

Pick up Propellerheads' Reason 2.0 for $300. You can download a demo of this program which will run for 20 minutes at a time and not allow saving. It may be confusing at first, but you can at least look at it.

Pick up a MIDI controller like this maybe or something similar. This will allow you to control Reason and have some knobs to use for control as well.

Get yourself some decent powered monitors if you don't already have some. For about $400 or $500 you can get some great little monitors.

Then you will need a good soundcard for recording. I use the M Audio Audiophile It's a low end card, but works great. You can also get USB sound interfaces that don't even require you to open the computer's case.

If you bought all this stuff you would still only be in for about $1,200. The nice sound card and monitors would allow you to make the most of Reason, and there is a lot to work with.

The only other thing you would need as I can see it would be a sequencer. You could use Cubasis like me for <$100, or you could buy something really nice like Cubase SX. That would allow you to also integrate your guitar, bass and drum recording (if any) with your reason music. Cubase SX costs like $500 or something. There are many other alternatives as well, that range in price greatly.

That still keeps you slightly under what you would spend for even the cheapest Motif, and gives you a huge amount of power to record just about anything.

I may be forgetting a few things you might need, but the setup I have outlined here would definitely give you the ability to do all the stuff you mentioned and so much more.

If you buy a Motif, you are going to need some of this stuff anyway. You will need to buy sequencing software still, a soundcard if you want to record to the PC, and the monitors of course will be necessary.

thanks....this really helps...

i'm already set with some M Audio monitors that sound great...as
well as a sound card (M Audio's Delta 66)...i definitely need to be able to integrate guitar, bass and drums with sequences and sounds so it sounds like the cubase SX and reason would be perfect...im using cakewalk 9 right now and will probably upgrade to sonar...i think they worked out all the kinks in the new version..

thanks again man.

You should be able to use Reason with Sonar or Cakewalk as well I would think, although I can't verify that.

Reason isn't the only program out there either. Cubase supports VST instruments and plug-ins, so you don't necessarily even need something like Reason at all either.

The thing about Reason is that it's stand-alone, so you can't sequence outside sources from it. You can, however, "ReWire" it to Cubase so you can record it in Cubase. Someone stop me if I am talking crap here, since I don't own Reason myself.

What's great about it, though, is that is does lots of fun stuff. Synthesizers, both subtractive and granular, a drum machine, a full sampler, lots of effects that can be routed in any way you could think of, etc.

If you wanted, you could start out with just Cubase SX and a MIDI controller. Cubase comes with some built in VST instruments and effects, which would get you started. As you familiarise yourself with Cubase, you could study up on different soft synths and plug-ins that you could grab later. All that stuff plugs directly into Cubase, so it's pretty simple.

The downside there is that running a lot of VST stuff at once will demand a lot from your PC. Reason is supposed to be fairly easy on the PC.

Well, have fun!

Jiffy, I am planning to get a Motif rack too, could you tell me how the acoustic sounds are in Motif..????? I have a Triton rack and I like those strings but certainly not satisfied with the pianos. Could you give me a comment on this???? :)

I've got a Yamaha S90 which has the same sounds as the Motif rack. I can testify for the accoustic sounds. They sound great.

The piano and strings are some of the best sounds it possesses. I don't have a Triton ... but I hear the Yamaha accoustic sounds are better than the Triton's.

jiffy feet said:
You should be able to use Reason with Sonar or Cakewalk as well I would think, although I can't verify that.

Yup, Reason works like charm with Sonar through rewire.

Acoustic sounds in the Motif are excellent. The pianos are wonderful, I can't get enough of them. In fact, I spend way too much time just screwing around "playing the piano," which reduces my productivity. :D

Ill chime in with my own endorsement of the Motif - S90 keyboards and sounds. They are top notch. the acoustic sounds simply rule... guitars sound like guitars, most keyboard guits suck, but not the motif.

If your buying your first keyboard and you have a pc sequencer and a few bucks, I would say get a s-90. thats a performance synth that oozes with quality and can handle al your midi needs.

taste tester...

never experienced the Motif before yesterday...

and...

it was my first time using its sounds...

and...

first time using its sequencer...

and...

talent or not, you can do a lot with this board.

The sounds are truly amazing (especially pianos and strings, whoa!). And additionally it is truly user friendly. It appears intimidating at first but with any type of remedial guidance 15 minutes tops for anybody to learn enough to record a sequence effectively. If I had the bread I would feed it to the birds who sell this beast (enter envy:< ).

Back