Motif - Multi-timbral question

baker_

yeah, newbie works fine.
Hey,
I did a little searching, but I couldn't really find an answer.
I have a friends Motif 8 here and I want to record some external MIDI into Logic 8.

This is my problem. I don't know how to set up multi-timbral mode in the Motif. I want it to be able to receive the separate outs from Logic.

On the software end of things I am fine. I know how to set up Logic to do what I want, I just need help with the Motif.

Anybody familiar with the Motif receiving MIDI channels?

Best,
baker

The Motif may very well more complicatied than this, but I went nuts on my Yamaha S90 trying to do the same thing. You have to put the keyboard into the sequencer mode for it to receive on multiple midi channels. Doing that, made it perfectly happy to take program changes and music data - I gave Sonar the S90 instrument def file to put nice names on the correct bank/prog numbers.

In my case, I also had to specify that the keyboard should listen to the USB port for its midi signals. It defaults to the traditional Midi jacks.

The Motif is a much more functional and configurable sequencer, though, so once in the sequencer mode, you might have to configure it to receive from an external source.

If my guess is wrong or incomplete, you should check here for an answer:
http://www.yamahasynth.com/products/index.html

Loads of great info and software utilities here.
Good luck.

Try song mode. But according to the forums you have to load your.mid onto the motif then specify everything from inside the instrument.Try Motifator.com probably number one motif forum.Sorry I could not help, but i have never done much midi with my motif.My Korgs are pretty straight forward with what you want to do.

Thank you all for the replies and links! I read through some of the pages and eventually stumbled upon a half answer. I figured it out from there. It was actually pretty straightforward. You just have to go into song mode and then the mixer settings. From there you go to voices and load what voice you want on each channel. Had to tweak a few other settings (like program change and such) but it's running great now!

Once again, thanks for your help

best,
baker

Back