Motif MO8 vs. Yamaha S80

bledredwine

I have been looking at both of these.

I want weighted action, good production quality/capabilities for creating music (particularly electronica), descent live performance, and a bunch of cool synth/moog sounds (or really any creative sounds)

I've heard that MO8 doesn't have expansion card capabilities..... will I need expansion cards or are the sounds with the MO8 already plenty?

thoughts?

Sha

MO8 doesn't have after-touch S80 does
And S80 uses Compact Flash
Cheers :)

Last edited:
MO8 doesn't have after-touch S80 does
And S80 uses Compact Flash
Cheers :)

While it's true the MO8 doesn't have aftertouch, it isn't true that the S80 used compact flash. The S80 uses Smartmedia cards - which are typically pretty pricey these days unless you have some patience, and a knack for ebay.

I have been looking at both of these.

I want weighted action, good production quality/capabilities for creating music (particularly electronica), descent live performance, and a bunch of cool synth/moog sounds (or really any creative sounds)

I've heard that MO8 doesn't have expansion card capabilities..... will I need expansion cards or are the sounds with the MO8 already plenty?

thoughts?

Sha

The S80 has two slots for PLG plug in boards. There are a few PLG boards available. I used and now use in my Motif 8 the PLG150-AP acoustic piano board. Great CFIII grand samples I've enjoyed playing live. There's also a DX PLG board available essentially giving a S80 (or any PLG expandable synth) a pallete of DX sounds. The PLG boards add polyphony, typically 64 voice polyphony on top of what the synth has. There are two expansion possibilities...there are other boards as well.

Back