Motif ES Rack voice mode question

Modern_Talking

Good day to you all . . .

One quick question for those using the MOTIF ES Rack module.

When I'm in the VOICE mode and play lets say a acoustic guitar sound it sounds very clean, punchy, and sounds like a real acoustic guitar. So, this is the sound I want to select in my sequencer track (eg: pre#24).

When press the Multi button the sound doesn't sound the same any more. All that punch, clean, reverb and real sound sound is all gone.

The bottom line, what I'm trying to acheive is that sound that's in the voice play mode (that acoustic guitar sound or some of the bass sounds).

When I switch back to Multi mode, that same sound(s) are not the same any more. They sound excellent in voice mode, but not in multi mode.

And yes i do realise that the Motif assign 1 to 4 outs do not carry reverb or effects through those outs. I'm using the assign L/R outs for those sounds and I can still hear the reverb and things like that but the quality of the sound has dropped big time.

I like some of the guitar, bass and synth sounds that are in the voice mode.

If I leave my Mofit in Voice mode, and I hit play on the sequencer (cakewalk) only 1 sound (track) can be heard through the motif. So, in order for me to hear all my tracks, I have the switch back to Multi mode but then quality of the tone goes.

I know I'm doing something wrong here, but I sure like to record those tones that are in the voice mode. Very clean and professional and even without applying any eq or efects or anything to those tones, I burned that onto a cd and played it in my home,car and mp3 players.. Sound very professional and clean.

How can I get that same sound in multi mode to be triggered from my cakewalk sequencer.

thanks.

I hope I explained myself clear enough and understandable. If not, dang! :D

You explained it well, and the problem you are having is not just a Motif problem -- it's common to all multi-timbral synths that have effects built into them. The effects that you hear in voice mode go away once you hit multi mode and call up a favorite patch.

There are two ways to solve this problem, and the first would be to get inside your Motif, see which effects are making the patch sound good to you and program them into multi mode.

The second would be to record the voice mode patch as audio to your sequencer, then go back and repeat as many times as necessary for the rest of the song.

ssscientist said:
You explained it well, and the problem you are having is not just a Motif problem -- it's common to all multi-timbral synths that have effects built into them. The effects that you hear in voice mode go away once you hit multi mode and call up a favorite patch.

There are two ways to solve this problem, and the first would be to get inside your Motif, see which effects are making the patch sound good to you and program them into multi mode.

The second would be to record the voice mode patch as audio to your sequencer, then go back and repeat as many times as necessary for the rest of the song.

thanka for the response. . . .

I guess then it's not me that's making that problem . . . . heheh!!! :D

The 1st idea sounds good . . When you say go inside, you mean go into the voice mode and save that patch in multi mode. . . right :)

Over the weekend hopefully will be abale to fool around mroe with this. I've already been reading the manual at work, but too much of jibberish in there. :D

thanks.

Modern_Talking said:
When you say go inside
I mean get inside the machine and edit the multi patch. You probably won't need to go down to the oscillator level to get the sound you want --- the voice patch will be the same, but you will need to 'reverse engineer' the voice program a little to see which effects are making it sound good to you, then program those same effects in multi mode.

There is always somewhat of a compromise to be made when doing this because if you want your acoustic guitar patch to sound just like it does in voice mode you are going to use up the effects that might be apportioned to, let's say, a bass sound and a string sound in the same multi patch.

ssscientist said:
I mean get inside the machine and edit the multi patch. You probably won't need to go down to the oscillator level to get the sound you want --- the voice patch will be the same, but you will need to 'reverse engineer' the voice program a little to see which effects are making it sound good to you, then program those same effects in multi mode.

There is always somewhat of a compromise to be made when doing this because if you want your acoustic guitar patch to sound just like it does in voice mode you are going to use up the effects that might be apportioned to, let's say, a bass sound and a string sound in the same multi patch.

thank you again for the response. . . . I guess my weekend will be tied up trying the get the motif to sound good in multi mode. . .. But I will play around more on the weekend and let you know how I made out. . but I just did a quick play around with it before I went to work, and I noticed when I edit the edit button in the voice mode that there is reverb and delay in that voice patch. . So wehn I completly turned them down (dry) it sounded very close to what i was hearing in multi mode with the same patch.
So, I guess it's that reverb and delay that is making that sound sound so sweat. But this is all a good experiment for me. . Even if it takes me hours or days, I guess it will be all worth that trouble, to get that nice and rich sound out finally.

I will post results on my progress.

thanks.

Look through the manual for global effects copy. My wavestation has a feature (your motid should too) that allows you to copy the effects settings for a patch to the global effects settings in multi so if there are effects that I like or need for a patch in multi, its easy to copy over the settings from the patch

Back