Motherboard recommendations

strmkr

Help!

My computer self destructed the other day,so I am faced with building a new one.I am going to use it exclusively for recording work.I want to go with an athlon xp processor around 1600-1800 mhz or so.Got the case gutted with a new power supply ready to start building.

So,I would really appreciate some suggestions on which motherboard to start building with,what's hot and what's not.

thanks

Strmkr

Take a look at Asus A7M266, and the SOYO Dragon Plus KT266A.
I'm having to make the same decision and from my research to date the SOYO is the Hot Rod. PCNut uses them in their NutCruncherPro.

Z Dog

I'd stay away from Via.

I'm waiting to get some more feedback on the new nforce chipsets from Nvidia before I make my choice but so far I haven't heard of any incompatibilities or instability issues with the 420D and 415D chipsets

I've got an ABIT KR7A-133 and I've had no problems with it. I run a Delta 1010 with n-Track on it.

If you're going to go with a VIA chipset based board, which tend to be the fastest AMD boards, get one based on the KT266A chipset, or possibly the new KT333. Stay away from the KT133 and 133A models.

The Asus and Soyo boards that Z Dog recommended are getting good reviews as well.

Here's a site dedicated to AMD motherboards. Check out their reviews.

www.amdmb.com

Good luck!

Back