Most Versatile Mic Under $1000

Evilbay said:
The second one is a plastic and aluminum mic. On the front is WOLLENSAK and on the back is this text molded in the plastic " WOLLENSAK OPTICAL CO. Model B-162-4 MFD. BY SHURE BROTHERS. INC. PATENT NOTICE INSIDE MADE IN U.S.A. " The aluminum block in the base swivels and has a threaded hold for a standard mic stand ! The microphone works and sound very thin and dark. The plug is NOT a standard 1/4" phone plug. It's shorter and molded on to the cable. I did not cut it off in case someone wanted it as is for a collection. I used alligator clips with a 1/4" phone plug on the other end to test it and it works fine. It's 4" tall and about 2 1/4" wide. There are no dents in the grill and looks good for it's age.

The poor sound quality is due to the age of the diaphragm. A little mercury sputtering and it will be good as new.

This is quite a deal - somebody better snap this up before I do.

For you time challenged out there, note that this thread is almost two years old.

However, I just got a PM in response today, which I'll quote anonymously:

crazydoc,
Please send me your contact information to discuss the Wollensak Mic. Is the pic that you see on the thred the Mic that you can repair with Mercury sputtering?
Thanks,

I just scored another one. As drum overheads, I have finally achieved the Albini drum sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have eight of them now. I finally got to use them to mic a whole drum kit, bottom and top heads. Crazy, there are no phasing issues, no need for phase reversal. The drums sound so huge I'm beginning to think it's the secret behind John Bonham's drum sound. It's like instant huge. No eq, no compression, just f*cking drum dynamite. I read recently that this mic was used to record Nick Drake's guitar on the Pink Moon lp. I can totally hear the 65 Guild come alive with this dope mic. Rudy Van Gelder says these mics are what make Impulse recordings sound so larger than life, that he did not use them on the Blue Note or Prestige recordings. That's Coltrane's tone on A Love Supreme, it's this magic mic (not the male stripper movie). I have a Nuemann u87 and I swear that mic can record a gnat farting at 50 feet, but the real life imaging of this mic makes you almost smell it too. So amazing.

I have eight of them now. I finally got to use them to mic a whole drum kit, bottom and top heads. Crazy, there are no phasing issues, no need for phase reversal. The drums sound so huge I'm beginning to think it's the secret behind John Bonham's drum sound. It's like instant huge. No eq, no compression, just f*cking drum dynamite. I read recently that this mic was used to record Nick Drake's guitar on the Pink Moon lp. I can totally hear the 65 Guild come alive with this dope mic. Rudy Van Gelder says these mics are what make Impulse recordings sound so larger than life, that he did not use them on the Blue Note or Prestige recordings. That's Coltrane's tone on A Love Supreme, it's this magic mic (not the male stripper movie). I have a Nuemann u87 and I swear that mic can record a gnat farting at 50 feet, but the real life imaging of this mic makes you almost smell it too. So amazing.

I mic my drums with Radio Shack mics duct taped to broom handles. They sound better than my U87's ever did. They sound like Black Sabbath drums.

Back