most underated song writer

most underrated........

bob dylan

i'm not kidding....

if a writer can get just one line as good as most of what he writes, they're on to something

I like Dylan's stuff, too. Especially when someone covers it!

I'll throw a curveball with the BeeGees. Most people know how great they were with their music... but fail to realize how many other artists did songs those guys wrote for them.

Carole King might be another to add to the list.

David Wilcox. Hands down. Honorable mentions- Keith Richards, Roger Saloom, Jerry Garcia/Robert Hunter,Vance Gilbert, Eric Burdon,Maureen Fleming,Maddy Pryor. Of course, underated depends on who's doing the rating. It may be that the Garth Brooks crowd doesn't fully grasp the artistic power of gangsta-rap.-Richie

Neil Finn...gotta go with him too. Indeed a songwriter's songwriter, but goddamn brilliant. Going to see him tonight, by the way, 21 years after my first "rock concert", which was Split Enz in 1982. Have seen him in Crowded House a few times in between

Thom Yorke...totally.

Paul Weller

Bruce Cockburn through the 1990's: way better than his 70's and 80's music

Richard Monroe said:
David Wilcox. Hands down.
:eek:
Holy Cow ! Someone on this board who even knows who Wilcox is ? I agree with you. I'll be playing Riverboat Fantasy for the rest of my life - never get tired of it.

How about Morgan Davis ? He wrote "Why'd you lie" - 'twas covered more famously by Colin James (who ain't no songwritin' slouch himself...).

mike

Yo mike- if you haven't heard "East Asheville Hardware" Just do it. 18 live cuts of the David Wilcox stuff that was too weird to make it onto any other album.-Richie

Middleman said:
Willy Dixon...

Now how many of you know that name?
I think I know who he is!He's the guy who wrote all those great rock songs is the 60's.Only he called it the blues..Seriously though,I agree.Willy Dixon was a bit of a secret to most of us....Earl

jimistone said:
the music business lost 2 great songwriters....george harrison..waylon jennings.

they got the respect and regognition they deserve.....but who do you think is the most UNDERATED songwriter?

You..you sob:D , i wished he would let you guys hear him:rolleyes: . Damn first time i've been in here...i feel a cold draft hehe.

Back