Most natural sounding analog fizz/dist pedal for Fender tube amp.

pisces7378

Hey gang,

I play through an Epiphone DOT 335 that has been completely over-hauled with Gibson `57 Classic and `57 Classic Plus pickups and all Gibson pots, bridge, nut etc. I have played it through a Marshal TSL 100 3-channel all tube amp.

Up until now I have always just used the three channel Marshall for all my distortion needs. Well now I am in a second different kind of band. A slightly more blues based band: a little quieter, less instruments, more influence on technique and sound. Think "Little Wing" or St. Ray Vaughn like guitar parts but with a more modern rhythm section, and a little motown R&B thrown in there for a back beat sometimes.

Anyway. I went out and bought me a Fender Blues Junior. It is a 15 Watt all tube amp. It is really a sweet little amp. It has the richest over tones and just heaps of tube tone. But it is only one channel. I want to use it's cleaner tone (well I always have it an amp ever so slightly dirty and just control it with the guitar's volume knob).

I want to know what is the best fuzz pedal for playing Jimmy Hendrix riffs? I have my eye on the Electro-Harmonix Fuzz Pi (NYC) pedal. Anyone think of a better fuzz pedal for sustain and overall tone? Think Keith Richards, Satisfaction.

Any tips?

Mike

Yeah, I think so too. I've tried out a Pi (Big Muff) at the local music store because it was the only fuzz pedal that wasn't a BOSS, DOD, Ibanez, or Line 6. The Line 6 is a digital modaler which I am just psychologically not cool with (Yeah. I know. I'm "one of those guys.") I was just wondering if anyone has any cool ideas besides the Big muff Pi?

Overdrive-not fuzz for Blues

For a blues based band, I wouldn't look at fuzz tones that would basically add a lot of gritty distortion, look into overdrive pedals to let you hear more of the natural tone of that 335.
When you play the cool 9th and 7th chords and such, it will give the character and the clean sounds of those chords.

Just my opinion, but if I were using the amp for a more "bluesy" kind of tone..I would try setting it for just a little break up- so you can back off the guitars vol. and get a relatively clean sound. Then, try a MXR micro amp for a clean gain boost for dirty settings. It won't color the tone too much, and gets a nice overdriven sound. Still tube break up...just more of it.

The best part is, the low power output of the junior won't take anyones head off when you boost. A different story with a Twin or clean set up Marshall.

I want to know what is the best fuzz pedal for playing Jimmy Hendrix riffs? I have my eye on the Electro-Harmonix Fuzz Pi (NYC) pedal. Anyone think of a better fuzz pedal for sustain and overall tone? Think Keith Richards, Satisfaction.

I really liked the Analogman Sunface, hands down the best fuzz I have played. More info here...killer pedal, nothing even close to it IMHO.

http://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm

Clean boosters are best.

Fulltone FatBoost or the previously mentioned Micro Amp.

The BigMuff sucks for small amounts of fuzz IMO. That thing is for godzilla fuzz and nothing else. Its great pedal, odn't get me wrong...but not for Jimi style anything.

If you want Jimi style look at the vast variety of 60's style Germainium transistor fuzz pedals. Fulltone makes a great one. The 69 pedal. I used to have it and it was very nice. But I didn't have a strat at the time so it didn't get much use and I sold it.

The Analogman Fuzz looks like a great pedal, however, I was thinking a BuildYourOwnClone Tri Boost. That Champ has a rep for great tone and you should let it do the lions share of the tone work. A booster will allow you to hop up your leads and help overdrive'm. Orrrrrrr, hehehehe, a BYOC Bender which is a SolaSound MKII Clone. I'm sold on this BYOC if you hadn't guessed.

Sounds like you want a nice overdrive. You'll always hear the Ibanez tubescreamer being deemed "the best". Basically, anything that boosts your signal to make the tubes break up earlier than normal. This will give the most natural distortion.

Fulltone!

I have a Blues Jr. custom in my studio, and we've tried a lot of pedals with that amp. Seems like it's best to set the amp gain around 4 or 5 (just at the break-up point) and try one or both of these:

For Fuzz check out the Fulltone Distortion Pro.

For Overdriven bluesy tones, try the Fulltone OCD.

Both are AWESOME pedals, built like a tank, and True-bypass.

You could check out all the reviews, but it's best to get your hands on them and see for yourself.
Happy hunting- Rez

Ibanez Tube Screamer for 'distortion', ProCo RAT for 'fuzz'.

I have a Tube Screamer and a DeuceTone RAT. Between the two of them I can make a *vast* array of different crunchy, fuzzy and all-out compressed squealing noises.

I use a Boss MT-2 with mine and I love it. It's tone shaping facilities are nice and it'll do just about any tone in the book.

BOSS METALZONE ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!

PS- Don't let the name fool you, it's so much more than a metal pedal.

pisces7378 said:
Think Keith Richards, Satisfaction.

Any tips?

Here's the one that Keith Richards used on Satisfaction (discontinued but prabably still available used):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Effects?sku=150135&src=3SOSWXXA

If you want to add sustain and volume, or just hold your input level at the "sweet spot" for your tube breakup, maybe try a compressor or a compression/sustainer. I love the way they add sensitivity and volume without adding more distortion or mud.

I second the KLON. World's best natural sounding overdrive/boost pedal. Its FUCKING AMAZING.

Rory

Outlaws said:
The BigMuff sucks for small amounts of fuzz IMO. That thing is for godzilla fuzz and nothing else. Its great pedal, odn't get me wrong...but not for Jimi style anything.

This kid is right. The big muff is my favorite pedal, but I can never get a light fuzz (broken headphones/ satisfaction) tone out of it. It's pretty much a wall of guitar or nothing. If I were you, I'd think about Voodoo Labs super fuzz. That’s a fun one too. I wouldn't try a fuzz face either, I’ve owned one and I could get the exact Fuzz Face tone out of my Big Muff with a little EQ-ing. The fuzz face just isn't very versatile. If you do like the Big Muff, DO NOT get the Russian one, unless you just want to hum and pick up radio signals. Just spend the $30 more or whatever it is for the US made one.

I love fuzz pedals.

Back