Most efficient way?

cheifitj

Hi guys,
So I have tried my best to read as much as I can and learn about all of this fun stuff, but I think I confused myself some and like always, I am probably digging into it too much.

Here is what I want to be able to do, and I believe that they vary. I am trying to find the optimal and most efficient way to do it.

1. Record up to 8 or 10 channels simultaneously (enough to cover 4 piece band) into a DAW so that I can mix it and have control over the sound. The goal here is to be flexible enough to do single part and layer, or an all at once with the final product being a mix to CD or .watever format.

2. Create Electronic Music such as in Abelton Live, with integration via the above.

So my real question is does a DAW exist that can do it all? Does an interface exist that can pull down 8 or so tracks all at once that wont cost me over $1000? This is a hobby and I am not a pro. Or do I have to mix everything as if live and just run 2 channels out of the mixer into a firebox type of interface and have less control once on the computer?

Can Abelton do it? I have started using that via the free trial and it seems to be nice for the electronic side of things and being able to play in a 'live' sort of setting.

Boy, I wish someone around my parts could show me some of this stuff. Feel like I have to try and reinvent the wheel or something.

-Jon

Ableton can do it. Whether you can find a new interface with that many simultaneous converters for under $1000 is another story. There are usually some great deals on used gear in the free ads forum.

A bit of a follow up.

Leaving the DAW aside, as they all seem to do a bit of everything these days.

Anyone have experience/ recommendation with one of these as a interface?

Alesis MultiMix 16 USB 2.0
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Roland OCTA-CAPTURE

Why not use a standalone recorder that is also a controller? Check this out:

Zoom R16 | 8thstreet.com | Call 1-800-878-8882 | Free Shipping on most orders!

That'll do your 8 tracks simultaneous (not 10). You can dump the WAV. files into Ableton or whatever DAW and edit there. You can get 16 tracks out by overdubbing, but only 8 simultaneous recording. That would give you enough money left over to start a mic locker, which you are seriously going to need to do what you are talking about. There are a ton of not always obvious costs involved- mics, cables, stands, and monitors being the most immediate ones. Good luck. You may be trying to run before you learned how to walk.-Richie

Back