Most diverse studio amp

I couldn't imagine not using an amp to record.. that sounds soo silly to me.. doesn't matter what kinda of tone you're looking for.. a di'd guitar always sounds like shit to me.. always but that's one opinion i guess

I couldn't imagine not using an amp to record.. that sounds soo silly to me.. doesn't matter what kinda of tone you're looking for.. a di'd guitar always sounds like shit to me.. always but that's one opinion i guess
evidently you don't do much mastering on your tracks before you publish them to make a statement like that.

Just remember though:

You're spending countless hours mastering trying to emulate a sound that amps already sound like...not to mention I've never heard a believable amp sound that was purely pedal-driven...just my personal preference I suppose...

hahaha
you must be kidding me??? again with this mastering shit.
I am sorry but I beg to differ.
the sound quality comes from mastering the track the only function the hardware has is sending the signal to the computer.:rolleyes:

seriously, i dont know a whole lot about reocrding or mastering, but i know enough to know that what you are saying about mastering a di'd guitar to make it sound good is crazy. i only know this from reading tons of material on these types of sites and from talking to actual recording engineers. im not saying it cant be done with good results, im just saying your average peron with a home setup asking questions on the internet, will not be able to do it.

recording an amp with a mic will always be better than plugging it straight into a mixer or interface

Everything effects your recording titan...

The preamp/amp you choose to use effects the "color" of your sound... In fact, so do your pickups, strings, pegs, frets, wood type, player, room, tuning, etc.

Player > Instrument > Pedal > Amp > Interface > DAW (Just a common chain)

Every single step in that chain effects the sound (Each prior step being of greater importance). If it doesn't sound good in the room, nothing will make it sound good in the box. You have to start with the sound you want.

For instance:
Seriously, detune your strings...then try to fix it in your DAW...we'll see how far you get.

I am no pro here, so it's not an opinion, but a guess (gut feeling) here: it's probably a lot easier to get "death metal" tone with no real amp than some other rock/blues drive sounds that tube amps are known for. No? :)

it makes no difference what genre of music it is it is all about how the tracks are mastered.

I can add any effect from OD, compression, reverb, paning right to left ect
it is all in how the tracks are edited that determines the outcome of the finalized track.

this is what im talking about, you were asking about a small amp for recording.
do you currently have any amp at the moment?
if you do, you would want your recording to sound just like, or dam close, to what your amp sounds like when you are just playing. if you plugged your guitar into the interface you would never get it to sound the same, as you stated hours of screwing around with it.

i have always found you get a much more natural sound by micing the cab, even if i put the mic in a bad spot for my scratch tracks, it still will sound better than going right into the interface.

now, why someone would plug right into the interface puzzles me. i understand if you dont have an amp, microphone and pre amp. but if you have that stuff already, why bother screwing aorund with stuff on your computer for long periods of time to make something sound the way you want?? especially considering, you can never recreate that sound again, beacause its all on the computer.

i think most people who go straight into the mixer or interface do it out of nessecity, not because they think they are professional engineers of sound and plug-ins. they do it because thats all they got, and i know, ive been there and it sucks for the most part.

The preamp/amp you choose to use effects the "color" of your sound... In fact, so do your pickups, strings, pegs, frets, wood type, player, room, tuning, etc.

Player > Instrument > Pedal > Amp > Interface > DAW (Just a common chain)

Every single step in that chain effects the sound (Each prior step being of greater importance). If it doesn't sound good in the room, nothing will make it sound good in the box. You have to start with the sound you want.

For instance:
Seriously, detune your strings...then try to fix it in your DAW...we'll see how far you get.

I agree with everything you said

also live sound and studio sound are 2 seperate beasts as well.
Like I said I don't use amps to record with other than Preamp and DI or a
1/4" phone Jack to a lowZ transformer.
I use a Mesa amps on stage and the finished tracks I posted are dam near identical to our live sound.
It works for me
some other setup may wok better for someone else

There is no one single configuration set in stone to determine how someone should or should not lay tracks.
If someone commissions me to do some recording for them and they want to use their amps to put into the chain, hell that just makes less time I have to spend mastering their tracks.;)

I agree with everything you said

also live sound and studio sound are 2 seperate beasts as well.
Like I said I don't use amps to record with other than Preamp and DI or a
1/4" phone Jack to a lowZ transformer.
I use a Mesa amps on stage and the finished tracks I posted are dam near identical to our live sound.
It works for me
some other setup may wok better for someone else

There is no one single configuration set in stone to determine how someone should or should not lay tracks.
If someone commissions me to do some recording for them and they want to use their amps to put into the chain, hell that just makes less time I have to spend mastering their tracks.;)

very good sir, i agree

not one set-up is the best. it is about what is the best for each person.

i was just saying that most of us on these sites do not have the knowledge to make it sound as good with only mixing in the box. that was really my main point i was trying to convey.

Then we all agree to agree:D

I will say this about Studio amps per say...
IMO what ever amp you use to get "your sound" IOW the amp you gig with should be the same amp you put in the chain to get "your sound" into the audio track.
JMO

I'm pretty sure you meant to say "Affects", but that's neither here nor there.

There is never a magic bullet when it comes to amps. I have laid some awesome tracks with solid state low end shit peavey amps and I've laid some some shitty tracks with high end tube amps.

And don't forget that a GOOD microphone makes a world of a difference.

The bottom line is, you have to take your guitar(s) to a guitar store and play through as many amps as possible until you find the one that does it for you. What does it for everyone else on this message board will most likely will not do it for you.

it makes no difference what genre of music it is it is all about how the tracks are mastered.

I can add any effect from OD, compression, reverb, paning right to left ect
it is all in how the tracks are edited that determines the outcome of the finalized track.

Yes, I realize that you can add an OD effect, but will it really sound like a tube drive? There's a reason they mic tube cabinets even in the studio and record 'em that way, even using multiple mics - close and ambient.

I'm sure that when people talk about "metal" distortion they mean a type of sound, not a genre. :)

If I were to go into a store and play on X number of amps with my personal guitar, that to me wouldn't qualify as a "diverse" amp, because I'd be looking for a "specific" sound. What I mean by diverse, is something that universally has a generally good sound (any person can play on it and not get a 'bad' sound. Maybe not what they're looking for, but certainly not 'bad'). I've also stated that I plan on buying many different amps to have as broad a sound as possible. I'm just looking for something that will play most newer rock, and something that will rock clean. I'm thinking of doing this:

Getting an axetrak guitar cab
Getting an Orange Tiny Terror, and an MTS (RM4 & RT2/50) for now... I also plan on getting a Laney LC15R as the lead sounds on it are AMAZING...

When I finally get a place big enough and treated enough to support loud volumes:

A Fender Twin Reverb, a Marshall (unsure which model as of yet, pretty sure vintage), and some other tasty little tidbits...

I'm going to DI the bass with a GT DITTO (can't believe I've gone on this far in my life without owning one).

Whaddya guys think?

I don't use amps for recording,I personally don't see the purpose in using amplifycation in the studio.
I use the Boss GT-8 and Boss GT6-B effects pedals DI into my mixing console.
Here are a few of our latest recordings No Amplification.
Warning Death Metal content.
http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/177/08 Track 8.wma
http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/177/07 Track 7.wma
http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/177/06 Track 6.wma

The 'purpose' is to get a good tone down without the need to dick around with it for hours, which using DI always requires, and even then it'll never be right. Granted though, Death Metal has evolved in tandem with a tone that doesn't require much in the way of dynamics or articulation (that's not a slight), so I guess you might get away with it in that genre.

The thread's about amplification in the studio, shall we stick with that?

Listened to the demos - pretty good job for DI !

OMG the blackface module and SL module sound so SICK!!! I'm actually thinking about abandoning the orange altogether for now and just stockpiling my modules. Do you guys have any personal experience with the modules? What are some good choices?

How many of you guys actually just DI the bass? Should I even worry about miking the bass? Thanks for the input guys!

I love micing bass cabs, but I always mix it with my sansamb rbi anyway. When the family's asleep, the RBI does fine on its own.

I love micing bass cabs, but I always mix it with my sansamb rbi anyway. When the family's asleep, the RBI does fine on its own.

I've been thinking, just for kicks, of reamping bass through a Trace Elliot and mic'ing each driver (there are three). That's gotta give you some flexibilty!

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I too am in the market for a recording amp to replace my spyder.

For those who advocate the tiny terror, what cab do you pair it with?

Back