Most accurate single/double mic preamp over $1000

capnreverb

I am going to make the leap into a high end mic preamp. I want the quietist, cleanest, and least coloured one possible. I really can't go more than $1500.

I finally had a chance to use a high end preamp (it was a prototype and not for sale so I can't buy that brand) and i really could hear the differance. The only way I could describe it was more "open". Not really louder or clearer or crisper or warmer, just more open, like i could hear the air around the sound.

Folks here talk about an sm57 never sounding good till you hear it through a good preamp. That's what I am talking about. It would be a huge investment for me (ie being broke for a few months), so i want the best for my money. I know it's all subjective, but i got to start somewhere.

Avalon?
Vintech?
Amek?
Earthworks?
Universal Audio?
True?
Grace?

Kitchen Sink?

thanks

Last edited:
You said cleanest, so if you want sterile clean, go for the grace. Within your budget you could probably only get the 101, which is the one channel version. Not my flavour, its too clean, no charater at all. (Personnally I like SOME character).

I've never heard it, but the Avalon M5, the single channel version of the ad2022 is suppose to be fantastic. I have a 737, but thats not clean.

For clean and transparent, i would scratch off Avalon, Vintech, and universal audio. IF you can get a Millenia or a Martech, or a Buzz audio preamp, that would be a great start. You may have to find it used though to meet your budget restrictions. Otherwise, a Grace or an Earthworks, and even an Amek may fit the bill pretty well. The Seck pre listed above is also pretty clean, and much more affordable. You may also want to look into the D&R preamp. Very transparent and clean, with plenty of headroom. Very similar to the Millenia sound (when used for clean preamping). The D&R is 2 channels for $495.

I would have to disagree with Xstatic on Avalon. I own an AD2022, the 2 channel version of an M5, and it is as clean as anyone could ever ask. I agree that the 737 is not a clean amp. Yeah, by all accounts, the Martech is God's own preamp. If you find one for $1500, don't give the serial number to the local police.-Richie

I certainly agree that the 2022 is a very different beast than the 737. I still don't consider it to be "clean" ala Millenia, Buzz etc... It is an excellent preamp in its own right however. I would almost consider more of a "smooth" preamp instead of transparent.

From a quick check, it looks like the Martech MSS-10 preamp sells for $1950 or less. I would imagine a used one to be right around $1500 based on the new price.

Yo Xstatic- Good pickup. My memory had the Martech a little more pricey. It would be a little work to find one used, though. It's one of those things that very few people buy and then sell. I don't know about the Grace, but I have a bit of experience with Toft ATC-2 and the new Joemeek twinQ, both Burr-Brown fast slew type preamps, and they are pretty transparent (until you turn on the opto-compressor). What I like about the Avalon is that it isn't transparent enough to be boring, as Intuneaudio commented. It's a lot more transparent than a 737 or say, a Great River. It's about as clean as I can stand. I don't think we disagree very much.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
I don't know about the Grace, but I have a bit of experience with Toft ATC-2 and the new Joemeek twinQ, both Burr-Brown fast slew type preamps, and they are pretty transparent (until you turn on the opto-compressor). -Richie

I have a ATC-2 and would descibe it as transparent. It's two channel, has great eq, and the the compressor can be transparent or colored.

Terry

I guess we all just view things a little differently. I would certainly consider the Avalon 2022 to be clean in that it has a natural sound. In my suggestions I was suggesting more of the "transparent" or "straight wire" sound. The Avalon 2022 is a pretty sound but you know you are using it (which is a good thing right? :D). I certainly would not consider any Focusrite to be this way, or the ATC-2 as well. The Focusrite BLUE series make wonderful preamps, the RED series as well, but I have never really liked them as much as the BLUE (ISA) stuff. Personally I will never buy a Platinum series one though. They aren't bad for the money, but to me that have that "sterile" sound, and not in a transparent way like the Grace does. The ATC-2 in my opinion is one of the best bang for the buck channel strips. Pretty nice sound, sweet EQ, decent compressor. Basically a solid performer at a great price to feature to sound quality ratio.

However, when you listen to something like a Martech, Millenia, or a Buzz audio preamp, you will hear what I mean about the whole "transparent" thing. I was very worried when I bought my D&R console because I was commiting to 104 channels of very clean and transparent preamps. At the time I was leaning towards vintage Trident, maybe an MCI, and even considering an old SSL. However, my console was coming from someone I know and trust, it was only 7 years old (which is pretty new for a used large format analog console), had 3 brand new power supplies, and been upgraded with real P&G faders. It also came with one of the best tech support systems of any large format console out there (I have become good friends with the only US D&R rep and tech guy in the US). I do mostly rock and in general I love the whole "colored" sound. I discovered very quickly that the degree of transparency that the D&R puts out is almost a "color" of its own.

I guess what it comes down to is that "clean" or "transparent" is some sort of a personal observation. If you have using ART preamps, or Mackie's, or Soundcraft's, Behringers etc.... than yes a Focusrite or an ATC-2 may seem very "clean" and "transparent to you. Then you get something like an Avalon AD 2022, and all of a sudden you realize a new degree of this. Then you get a Martech, Millenia, Buzz, D&R etc... and the way you view your other equipment changes yet again. This isn't a bad thing. In fact its a good thing. As an engineer going through these changes it expands your sonic palette, and teaches about whole different sounds that prior to that you may have found unobtainable or impossible to achieve. You don't even have to get rid of the other stuff either. Thats the great thing. It teaches you how and when to best use your other gear to maximize your capabilities. I find that my D&R preamps in my console are actually very similar to the Avalon 2022. The biggest difference is that they tend to "disappear" a little. The Avalon is nicer in the sense that I feel like it adds a "smoothness" to a track. An almost gently and sweetly processed sound. The 737 retains some of those same characteristics (if you are driving it too hard) but adds an enhanced mid low and like 8k type feel that doesn't feel as natural to me, but in many ways feels a little "larger". This can be both good and bad depending on the source, the mic, the engineer, and the desired sound.

I hope this post quantifies a bit about where my OPINIONS are coming from. I don't want anyone to think I am talking badly about the other gear listed in this post. I am just trying to describe how I came to my opinions:)

Hardy M1 or M2 w/ VU option and no transformer on the outputs.

or

Hardy M1 or M2 w/ no VU option and transformer on the outputs.

Mike

Clean and transparent: Earthworks
I A/B's the Earthworks LAB102 with the Great River MP2 and numerous other (less expensive) pres. The E'Works was audibly less colored.

Of course I was using earthworks mics, so maybe there is a synergy.

Back