More Stereo & Mono questions

There IS a "L+R component" - which defines the signal that is common to both L/R channels, and the "L-R component" which defines the difference signal (what is NOT common to both channels). The distinction is important because it describes the existence of the phantom image for a given stereo signal. As I said earlier, it IS the definition of "stereo".

Okay, okay Blue! I have the white flag out now, I surrender, no sarcasm, no attitude. I wasn't aware of that definition of stereo and now that I've heard it, it makes a lot of sense. I wasn't trying to start such a big discussion, I was trying to get to the point that Alanfc started with:

If have a complete stereo drum machine track and copy/split it into two separate Mono tracks, am I only getting part of the strength/color of each part of the stereo signal? When they're now living on their own tracks?

I was reading between the lines and saw that he didn't have a grasp of the basic concept that he could record the output of his drum machine ( left and right output ) each to their own track, and then play back the result, panning the tracks hard left & hard right and get the truest representation of the drum machine's sound possible.

If those of us with knowledge (hey I admit I'm no rocket surgeon) are going to peruse the "Newbie" forums, and give input to them, then shouldn't we try to help people out at their level of understanding? Of course if I read someones advice who is way off base, I will try to correct them as well. I don't want to lead someone astray, and I don't want to be led astray either.

I am new to this BBS myself, so I will simply say that it seems to me that it exists to be both informative and fun. Alanfc is almost giddy at the prospect of hearing his music sound good!:

I'm really looking forward to experimenting with big guitars !!
Already I've done some tests with full instrumentation, dry, and put a simple little Cakewalk reverb on the single mono guitar afterwards and nearly keeled over it sounded so awesome.

Can you remember back when recording used to be this much fun? I still can, and it still is for me sometimes, and I better go now before I make myself cry.

. . . sniff:(

:D

Back