more snare crap

nascentjunkie

well i also had another post about snare, but this is an eq qeustion. I wanted to know how to get more attack on the snare drum sound?? I am mainly using a wooden snare. With dry heads. Evans if i'm correct. It is tuned pretty tight. I love the sound in the room and such. but i need more snap. Is there a freq. range to boost it at? I can't seem to find it for some reason.

It's not an EQ qeustion.... it's a mic placement, mic selection question!

Try a LD condenser on the snare - it works very well...!

i don't know if this is a recording question or not, but , if you like the sound of the snare and just can't seem to capture the sound on disc, then, yeah, try a couple of different mics and placements. i recently started using an at3525 and it's very different from the beta 57 i was using.

if the question is just how to get a better sound in general, i don't know if a change of heads or whatever will do it. wood snares are generally mellower than metal snares. i use a 6x13 pork pie maple snare with a standard coated remo ambassador and i get plenty of attack/crack and still a great wood tone. i don't dampen the head at all.

You can try eqing a little. Attack- boost a little around 3-5k, and for more crispness- boost a little around 8-10k. Try that before you do anything else.

Attack

You might want to try using another head rather than the dry head. I used an Evans HD Dry head on an album once and it was very hard to get any life out of the snare it seemed. Sometimes the overtones can produce a better recorded sound. You can EQ out the bad overtones and just keep the ones that sound good. On a dry head you get virtually no overtone at all. This may sound good in the room, however on a recording it can sound dull. Especially if you are close micing the snare.

Blue Bear Sound said:
It's not an EQ qeustion.... it's a mic placement, mic selection question!

Try a LD condenser on the snare - it works very well...!

LD condenser on the snare--I never ever thought of that. I'll have to try my CAD M-37 on my snare sometime.

Evans are just too thick for snare batters.
I'd try something like a Remo Coated Pinstripe.
Ambassadors are still good too!

Back