More inputs for firepod

hotwatertim72

I'm looking into getting some more inputs becuase as of now, I only have a firepod, and would like to have more than 8 all together. What is the best way to go about adding inputs without having to go and buy a brand new firepod. I would like to add from 2 to 4, with preamps.
Thanks in advance
Also, I would like to be able to control them seperately on my computer. That would be awesome.

firebox

i have heard a rumor that you can/will soon be able to use a firebox with a firepod instead of 2 firepods... i think this would rock!

has anyone heard otherwise or likewise?

-b.

The Firepod has an S/PDIF i/o on the back. If you get your hands on a 2 channel preamp with S/PDIF out on it, you could potentially have 10 inputs at once. I am assuming you could use all 8 analog and the stereo S/PDIF all at once. You might want to double check the manual, or call Presonus. I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

Other than that, you will probably just have to get another firepod.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, you have to choose from between the main 8 inputs or the Spdif, which really sucks. I guess I will saving up some more money to buy another firepod. It'll be worth it in the long run i'm sure.

hotwatertim72 said:
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, you have to choose from between the main 8 inputs or the Spdif, which really sucks. I guess I will saving up some more money to buy another firepod. It'll be worth it in the long run i'm sure.

These must be a Windows design flaws of which you all speak. I can see all the inputs (including S/PDIF) simultaneously on my Mac. I could also use a FireBox and a FirePod at the same time if I wanted to do so; they're FW AVC devices, so they don't even require drivers (though they come with a firmware flasher tool and a config tool to switch between internal and external sync).

Yeah, come to think of it, I used all 8 analog ins and the S/PDIF inputs simultaneously on a MAC a couple of months ago. That was the only time I've used the FirePod, so I don't know if it's a Window's thing or not. I would think it would work on Windows though.

You can use all 10 inputs simultaneously on windows as well, you just have to either sync to the spdif in or send a signal via spdif out that syncs the spdif device to the firepod.

Please explain more! Because in the control panel for the firepod, you are given two choices, one is the 8 inputs with pre-amps, the other is the s/pdif

If you can do that, I would then consider buying a pre-amp with s/pdif, giving me more channels.

The option in the control panel that you speak of is for choosing the clock source, not what inputs you are using. When 2 or more digital devices are used, then the must be 'synced' together: this sync signal is called the 'clock'. Now, in the firepod's case, in order to use the spdif input, you must set the clock source to spdif. What this does is sync the entire firepod to the signal that is coming in from whatever you are feeding the spdif line with (preamp, etc...). You still have access to all of your other inputs, it's just that bit depth and sample rate will now be determined by your spdif preamp, and not by the firepod console.

Im pretty confident you can use Spdif aswell as the 8 preamps.

I have a Firebox and you can use all 4 channels (1+2 preamps and 3+4 line) plus the 2 spdif channels so i'd bet the firepod would work like this aswell...

Although you can't go far wrong with 2 firepods :D:D:D

hotwatertim72 said:
Please explain more! Because in the control panel for the firepod, you are given two choices, one is the 8 inputs with pre-amps, the other is the s/pdif .

Check to make sure you have the most current driver for the FirePod. When I worked on a clients Mac/Firpod setup, the S/PDIF input wasn't even available until we went to the Presonus web site to down load another application that made the S/PDIF active. It wasn't even incorporated into the driver yet. Now I think I saw somwhere that the current driver incorporated that feature.

Maybe that is causing part of your confusion. Also, you might need to activate the S/PDIF i/o in your software. Are you using the Cubase that came with the FirePod?

Raw-Tracks said:
Also, you might need to activate the S/PDIF i/o in your software. Are you using the Cubase that came with the FirePod?

You know, I didn't even think about this, but doesn't Cubase LE (what came with the Firepod) limit you to only recording 8 channels simultaneously? I think I remember seeing that. I already used sonar, so it wasn't a big deal for me, but if you are using Cubase LE, that could be the culprit.

cawhite12 said:
You know, I didn't even think about this, but doesn't Cubase LE (what came with the Firepod) limit you to only recording 8 channels simultaneously? I think I remember seeing that. I already used sonar, so it wasn't a big deal for me, but if you are using Cubase LE, that could be the culprit.

Could be, I don't really know for sure.

Thanks for the replies everyone. What was confusing me was the firepod control panel, and how you would choose between the clock source. But now my confusion is gone and I understand it. So, in order to use the s/pdif along with the 8 pre-amp inputs, I would select the s/pdif in the firepod control panel, and then just plug in something such as a pre-amp with s/pdif? Am I right?
Thanks again.

cawhite12 said:

Yes, this is correct. And some shipping versions of LE even had issues with only 4 channels max. recording at one time. Kinda ridiculous seeing at the main point of the Firepod is the eight pre's!

Another option would be to get a Firebox, and sync it to the firepod via s/pdif. That would give you a total of 10 preamps and 12 analog inputs

Back