More I/O needed?

Dj17

I need to record 1 channel at a time, and I need to hear the already recorded music in playback, may it be through monitors when recording guitar and bass, or through headphones while recording vocals (I'll probably have to do a lot of plugging/unplugging, I guess - or could this be a bad thing for some gear?)

What is the smallest amount of I/O I would need? I thought the M-Audio AP2496 would be pretty good for the money, but it might not have enough I/O.

Also... is there such a thing as a sound card with built-in preamps? Built-in preamps better than a DMP-3? I don't need to record drums or to mix anything, so I'll avoid getting a mixer...

I'd also like to know... I'll try not to make long cable runs from the soundcard to the preamp, but is there a chance the monitor will cause interference even with small cable runs? It's kind of a large, old school monitor...

I think the delta1010lt has 2 built in pres. No idea how good they are though. Sounds like more channels than you want anyway. If you only need to record one channel at a time and want to avoid cable swapping, I would suggest getting a mini-mixer like the small behringers. That way, you have crappy pre's if you want them. You can run your mic into the pre(mixer) and run the out to the audiophile. Then run an out from the audiophile back into the mixer so you can monitor pre-recorded material. Once you decide to upgrade, the $50 or so you spent on the Behri won't seem like such a big deal.

50$ to avoid cable swapping sounds like a good idea. I'd most likely bypass it anyway, since I'd still have to get a decent mic pre for the main vocals.

But while we're at it... in what price range would a mixer's built-in pres exceed the quality of a stand alone preamp like the DMP-3?

I can only compare against the SP VTB-1 as I have never used the DMP3. I have tried Behringer UB and Yamaha MG series boards and the pre's are inferior in my opinion. For some things, I like the pre's on my Mackie board (SR24-4) better, if that helps.

Well I thought I might get a Mackie 1202VLZ since someone was willing to sell one to me. It has the same XDR preamps, apparently.

I'll go read some preamp reviews, I guess.

Thanks for the help, btw :).

Back