more bang/less buck Hi Hat recomondations

qbert1

I've searched around and can't quite find a direction to travel. I'm purchasing a set of hi hats for a church praise band and would like any recomondations on a good sounding hi hat set that won't break the bank. Does such a thing even exist? I'm not a drummer so I don't trust my technique to test any. Any directions to travel?

Thanks in advance

I am a Istanbul K Zildjian fanatic, I mostly use old K's from the 50's on my kit, most of the cymbals I use would sell in the extremely high price range - I've seen some ride's on eBay for $10K. I would want at least that for a few of my cymbals. I've had them since 1972.

When I try regular cymbals, the type they have at stores, I almost always hate them because they are too bright. So yes, I am VERY picky.

BUT: I got a pair of Wuhan standard hi hats for $40 on eBay and they are actually useable! I like them! Those cymbals are not bright and sound very musical.

If you can afford it, you could also check out some 60 - 70's Avedis Zildjian New Beats, you could probably get them for $100 - 200.

The only problem with AZ's is that they vary a lot, and to my ears only a tiny percentage of them are acceptable (1 out of 100 or less), whereas the Wuhans I've tried all sound musical.

Try to get the regular Wuhan cheapies, not these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WUHAN-14-Hi-Hat...in_0?hash=item35a289e09a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Or run an ad on Craigslist saying you want to buy a set of Wuhan hihats for $40.

New Beats are by far the best hats out there, but they aren't cheap (cheaper than Paiste and Zildjian K models though).

Cheap out Wuhan.

Used New Beats can be found for $100 or less pretty regularly.

Dream Bliss and Contact lines have some good stuff, they're in the beginner price range, but solid performers, when you find a good one. Try to find a place where you can listen before you buy, or has an extremely loose exchange policy.

Back