More and more toys to play with - but who knows what they do?

Vease

I had a flip through a couple of guitar mags at my local newsagents and I see wall to wall advertisements for POD,AX(add a number)amp modellers, Yamaha QY 100 and Boss JS-5 Jamstation (what ever they are, it's not explicit as to exactly what you can do with these things)plus the Tascam, Boss and Korg digital studios.

How on earth can a newcomer possibly grasp what the pros and cons of these devices are, when there is such a vast array of choice, and the precise details of what you can do in terms of recording and composition is ,to my eyes at least hidden from the potential purchaser?

Does anyone have any sound advice for extracting useful information from the manufacturers of these things?

By reading the trade mags, you will find useful reviews on all kinds of products. In all the mags, you will also find web sites listed. The internet provides a wealth of information. You can also go to your local music store to check things out. One word of caution I can give you is that before going to the store, you want to do some research beforehand to see what you would like to check out at the store. The last thing a salesperson wants to do is spend time with someone to just find out what things do. If you are interested in a purchase, they will spend all the time you need.

What a good question. One that I have, and still do boggle over. Add to the frustration that you save and fight to get some super machine and 20 more new and improved ones that boast far more features hits the market. Reviews and sales reps certainly provide some real insight on the potential of gear but rarely shed light on the various wiring, patching and tweaking of all of this stuff.......much less a chain of it. For me the best tool is sniffing around and shooting the breeze with the sound guys at a gig. Never mind the band...I peek from around a corner and watch what knoba a guy is hitting. If I am sweet and smile (and not ask stupid questions) the guy tends to be willing to explain stuff. Secondly go to a small local studio and volenteer time. Same thing, I am getting information from the guys who have been working this stuff longer and use a hands on learning process.

Even, that is great advice, and how many of us learned! :)

Always be nice to the soundguy. Their job is pretty tough as it is, and snoopy people just distract from it. The better your questions to them, the more willing they will be to answer.

As to all the new stuff that keeps coming out. You don't really have much of a way to know what is excellent, what is just okay, and what is crap. Stick with great names in audio, and pay a little bit more then you can afford and you will probably get pretty decent stuff.

Good day!

Back