mopads vs pvc monitor stands

tsl92802

i'm very interested in beefing up my monitor chain as far as accuracy goes. i really feel that the monitors i'm using crank out more bass than i'm hearing. i'm using m-audio bx8s on mopads sitting on my desk. they're only a couple inches away from the wall and are properly angled at me. my room is treated rather well also including bass traps and the like. i'm wondering if building the diy pvc stands mentioned in the other posts would be beneficial, and if there's any suggestions in general about improving monitor isolation, position, etc. thanks

p.s. i've done a lot of searching on the stands and never really saw a good post on if mopads are better/worse/negligable...so i appoligize if this has been posted before and i missed it.

mopads have mixed reviews some say they suck the mids out of the mix. I actually like them. I have my monitors set up on homemade stands and the mopads are on top. I only used the stands to get the speakers postioned at my ears correctly.

thanks, i haven't heard anyone talk about the mids before, so that's good to know. but to clarify, i would most likely use spikes to isolate the monitors from the stands...so really i should be asking if stands + spikes is better than the mopads. thanks!

> i really feel that the monitors i'm using crank out more bass than i'm hearing. <

This is very common. :D

> my room is treated rather well also including bass traps and the like. <

Please describe that in more detail.

> any suggestions in general about improving monitor isolation, position, etc. <

The drawing below shows the ideal placement for listening in a typical rectangular room. Once that's set, then you can vary the speakers along the axes and measure where you get the flattest response.

--Ethan

art_room-setup1.gif

1) the reason that i say that the speakers should be cranking more bass is that they can go quite low and it seems to resonate more than i would expect in my desk. i seem to feel a lot more than than i'm actually hearing too, which i'm aware may be a phase issue or my room as my speakers aren't exactly set up like your diagram. i'm aware they're bright speakers and it's not going to thump like a car/subwoofer/home system, etc.

2) my studio was built long before discovering these boards so i have a lot of auralex products which i know receive mixed reviews. i have their bass traps in every corner and in a couple spots i found that was build up in the room. the room is completely built so there are no completely paralell walls, and more or less it was set up per the recomendations of auralex. the room appears to be neurtal where if i walk around i'm not hearing anything i'd construe as an unatural build up. but i also wouldn't say it's 100% perfect...i can also assume it would've been a lot better had i discovered this board sooner.

3) thanks for the diagram, i've been looking a lot at my monitor setup. becase (although this seems stupid in reflection), aside from choice in speakers, i didn't put as much thought into it as i should have. i very much appreciate the response since you definately seem to be the most noteable athourity on this subject.

5) however, my question of mopads vs the spikes wasn't really addressed (which might mean it's not all that important i suppose). and i'm curious as to how close having the speakers to the wall affects the sound. the room i'm using is roughly 10x10...not large at all, so placement is kinda tough. thanks!

i'd vote the seperated stands are better, but mopads may work in smaller enviroments.

my point of view would be "vibration" or "isolation" for one.

I mean a stand will take this off your desk more so than a mopad/foam.

Someone told me once suspended in air would be theoretically the best.

Also the B&W web says something about the stands and spikes and keeping the bass in the cabinet where its designed to be, not transferred to the object the speakers could be set on.

go with option #3- suspended in air.
1) no bass vibration transfer from the cabinet
2) you have your floor space

Reading Ethans site and I think that Bob Hodas dewd..
the reflection from the desk is a bastard too......so they place the stands behind the console

Back