Mootif Rack

Jerry W

About 4 weeks ago I was checking out keyboards and tried the Motif Rack. I thought it sounded great and attempted to purchase one. To make a long story short, it had to be ordered so I ordered it. In the interim period, I have reconsidered the wisdom of this purchase.

First, the Motif is, to me, more of a "real" instrument emulator than a synth as it were. To emulate real instruments, the best possible thing to have is a sampler. Now, I have the Kontakt software sampler and I am waiting for the Garritan Strings to be released in a Kontakt version. Also, there are a few good libraries that have orchestral sounds for the Kontakt and I am looking into those.

In the end, I don't really see how the Motif Rack has all that much to offer. It has some good keyboard sounds, Rhodes, Wurly, Acoustic Piano, some Hammond-esque sounds, Clav etc. but I already have a bucn of those sounds and certainly I have some very usable ones.

So I believe my decision is to forego the Motif and put the thousand dollars towards a computer upgrade. I have a Mac G4 with a 733 khz processor. It would be in my best interest to obtain a dual processor Mac and use the one I have only for soft synths and samplers. I have used the Spectrasonics Styuls program and love it. This is the way to go and I am interested in more of this kind of thing.

I believe that the Motif Rack is already a dinosaur. It is almost obsolete in that it is hardware and hardware synths other than controller keyboards are on the way out, software is on the way in and, frankly, the way to go.

Do YOU have an opinion on this subject. I would love to hear what others are thinking about this very subject which, ultimately, is a software vs. hardware debate of sorts.

Jerry W said:

I believe that the Motif Rack is already a dinosaur. It is almost obsolete in that it is hardware and hardware synths other than controller keyboards are on the way out, software is on the way in and, frankly, the way to go.

Horses for courses I think.
IMHO as a keyboard player I prefer the hardware synths/samplers and I think the sounds are better than any soft synths I've heard plus I hate the demands softsynths place on my system as they tend to be a bit greedy on cpu usage.

I would take the motif rack over any soft synth.

Just my thoughts.

It all depends on your needs. Want the best sounds, period? Kontakt, Giga, exs...that's the future. But the gigging musician needs reliable hardware. I use giga, but I'm not taking my computer on a gig...I bring a controller and my JV-1010. Unless I'm really strapped for polyphony or there's a particular sound on that thing I need for a particular cue, I'm not using the 1010 in my studio. (And I have my 3080 which has most of the 1010 selection anyways...)

So you'd take a Motif Rack over...Vienna Symphonic Library? That's...quite a statement.

Sklathill said:
So you'd take a Motif Rack over...Vienna Symphonic Library? That's...quite a statement.

Well yes I would.
Perhaps I was answering the question based on what I am. A gigging muso who uses hardware gear to play out and also In my little home studio.

I guess we all have different ways of working and different ideas and mine at this point is Hardware over Soft.

As I said in previous post "Horses for courses".

The Motif is indeed an awesome piece of equipment IMHO.

I believe that the Motif Rack is already a dinosaur.

Some scientists believe that a meteorite hit the earth and destroyed all the dinosaurs.

I believe that in the music scene, we've not scene any meteorites hit. Nothing has convinced me to throw out my hardware. And for good reason.

I believe keyboard workstations will start evolving into pieces of hardware that will eventually play our giga libraries. We'll start to see 40 and 80 gigabyte hard drives in them, along with fast and easy ways to import samples. We're already starting to see the beginning of it. Imagine a keyboard workstation with a "monitor out" for your flatscreen, cdrw/reader/writer, smart media, 120 gig hard drive, mouse, etc. etc. etc.

Hardware will never go extinct. Software won't either. I think they're the perfect marriage. I'm excited to see what the future technology will bring.

-muzakal

First, the Motif is, to me, more of a "real" instrument emulator than a synth as it were. To emulate real instruments, the best possible thing to have is a sampler.
It is a sample based synth. Pretty much the same thing.
This question is "moot".:p ie; "mootif"

Back